Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunt temperature sensitive?

Sunshine

This may be a dense question but with Lunt scopes does it operate best once it reaches a certain temperature after observing for a given amount of time? I know quarks do need to heat up. 

Completely different Ha systems.  The lunt has a glass based etalon, Quarks have mica chips which need to be heated to an optimum teemperature to get them "on band".  I have noticed some PST's improve the performance after a few seconds of exposure.    🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

Completely different Ha systems.  The lunt has a glass based etalon, Quarks have mica chips which need to be heated to an optimum teemperature to get them "on band".  I have noticed some PST's improve the performance after a few seconds of exposure.    🙂

Thanks, i am aware of the Lunt being a glass etalon vs the mica quark but I wondered cause I thought I heard someone mention that their Lunt performs slightly better after a few min observation. This could be simply that their eyes have adjusted and nothing to do with the scope itself, or maybe the glass etalon in the Lunt does perform better once the scope is warmed a bit, thanks.

I thought you probably knew the difference but an opportunity to clarify for those who might not.  Your eye adjustment comment is a good point, it does take a few moments to dial the eye in, specially for newcomers to Ha viewing.    🙂

Edited by Peter Drew
typo
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sunshine said:

This may be a dense question but with Lunt scopes does it operate best once it reaches a certain temperature after observing for a given amount of time? I know quarks do need to heat up. 

Certainly the blocking filters don’t perform well at very low temperatures, which is why Lunt sells a heating device to wrap around the filter for winter/cold climates. But I’ve never noticed any performance difference at different temperatures with my three air spaced scopes. However, the Lunt system is of course sensitive to pressure/altitude.

• Like 1