Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Space X / Ax2 / Crew Dragon launch, visible from UK?

At about 22:37 BST Space X is launching a Crew Capsule to meet up with ISS.

As it'll be chasing down ISS it'll pass over some time after ISS's next pass. I suspect it might be visible, particularly if there is activity from the second stage.

At the time of launch, ISS will culminating for me, passing just below Arcturus. So it's not Whacky Races! Crew Dragon will be some while later, so maybe in shadow by then?

Anyway, worth watching the live graphics for updates on position.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes watched live stream via Go Stargazing on Facebook, with a heads up as to when best seen (following ISS) over UK. Therefore lucky to see this from backyard Newcastle at around 10. 40pm S/W to S/E on its low Earth orbit trajectory towards and below Arcturus. 

• Like 1

Well, I saw ISS, bang on time. Good job British Rail don't run it! 🤣

Unfortunately the Space X coverage was less informative and ended earlier than usual. 

The graphic showing the vehicle's position over the ground would have been good for timing spotting opportunities. But it wasn't there when needed. So I went outside when the live stream ended and the Crew Dragon was still mid-Atlantic. I watched a lot of satellites, some too bright, some too soon, some too high, one incredibly bright but in a polar orbit. You get the idea.

Nothing I saw was right. I hoped to see 2 objects, the Dragon, with thruster blooms and the second stage trailing behind, all spent and dejected.

Perhaps the biggest take away from this late evening's observation is that I probably should have set my scope up to grab an image of the new supernova in M101. It's clearer than the forecast suggested although not yet astro darkness. Too late now, the gin o'clock bell has already sounded.

4 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Visible from here, quite bright, but the video doesn't do it justice.

Well done! 

What time was your observation?

Did you discern 2 separate objects?

3 hours ago, DaveS said:

I only saw one object, but I wasn't looking for two.

The video is timed at 22.58 pm.

Same here. Right before the live feed finished I took note of the cabin crew flight trajectory panel and waited with 10x50s. At 22:58 I definitely picked up an object and followed its course. I checked the Orbitrack app and although Starlinks were in the vicinity they were not quite on the same path.

How bright was this for you guys?

I saw a bright object on a possible trajectory at that time. But I thought it was too bright and, perhaps, a little early based on the last graphic I saw. It was less bright than ISS but still "wow" bright. Went into shadow in the SE.

Interesting, what I saw was definitely dim and of the correct trajectory, quite certain that it was not a satellite, yet a little before that mentioned photographed time 22.58. I did not take particular regard to log the actual time, only accounting for the approximate tip off on Go Stargazing, yet would had been 5-10min earlier (than 22.58) at my more northerly latitude. Quite accustomed to seeing the ISS, which I believe had traversed across a little earlier? Was clear skies here (certainly Arcturus was) and ISS usually easy to spot as being bright. However did I just stumble across a dim ISS (slight haze in sky?) I am now not entirely sure and was it (ISS) on the very same trajectory.  So that would be both me and @Paul Min a bit of a conundrum. 

• Like 1