Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

August Perseid Meteor Showers

Rob

I bet your next birthday present from her was a big expensive one

NOT !

I got the same as i give her every year a big fat ZERO! :twisted: :o did i mean to lock her in the shed i will say make your own minds up :o:):):):):o:lol::lol::lol::lol:

James :lol:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like my MIL !

Back to the perseids though. I was thinking of doing several hours of imaging that night.

One of two ways really - but seeing as I only have once camera it's either or...

1st, static tripod, wide lens, ISO100, 3 minute subs, of polaris and surrounding area... then stack the image to get some really long star trails - might even get some meteors as well.

2nd, driven mount, wide lens, ISO200, 3 minute subs, of cygnus. Might get a half decent milky way shot and a few meteors if I'm lucky.

I'm not even sure what the images are going to come out like, as my skies are not good and may be fogged out long before 3 minutes... and I'm guessing that the Astronomik CLS filter would cut down on the light so much that I'd loose any chance of meteors...

Ant

Personally your second choice Ant plus it's a lot less hassle processing afterwards. I am a sucker for Milky way Shot's with Meteors they go hand in hand :)

Wht not use your Film camera with the static tripod and ya Dslr on the driven mount? that way ya have double the chance of a decent pic and meteor caught on film/digi

James

Dont forget about the Perseus Meteor Shower :) :)

Obviously the timing is not perfect, as this occurs during daylight hours. However, observers before dawn should be a good view because there is no bright Moon to interfere. Look high in the Northeast quadrant of the sky before dawn. There is also a well-known secondary peak about 14-15 hours earlier, putting it in the Thursday evening twilight for much of western North America. Unfortunately this timing has the disadvantage of poor placement of the radiant (in Perseus) to the far Northeast, and in the presence of a bright, nearly First Quarter Moon. Thus, before dawn on Friday is the best bet.

Here's something to consider-if the Moon is interfering with your meteor shower viewing, put a telescope on the dark side. It's possible to observe the same meteors slamming into the Moon. They'll produce a quick, bright flash. If you catch it on video, you can submit it to the A.L.P.O., Association of Lunar and Planetary Observers as science.

http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/alpo/

:)

Well it's pretty clear here in Oxford so I'm trying out a new emulsion, pointing it to near the radius & trying to film a series of back to back shots which I can then combine & hopefully (and it's a BIG hopefully!) show meteors flying in all directions.

Ah well, worth a try............... :)

Did it stay clear for you Andy?

Good luck with the new film.

Ant

Largely it stayed clear, though there was some intermittant cloud. I took a series of back-to-back shots lasting about 10 minutes each from around 11pm til 2.30am today. There are still a couple of tests I want to run with this new emulsion on nebulae - so I won't be sending it off quite yet for development. I'll let you know how I get on i.d.c.

Anyone else here try any observing/imaging?

Tonight was quite clear in places in looked good than guess what........

It did what i was dreading was going to happen it`s cloudy.Just looked out my window there`s cracks here and there in the clouds still not worth going outside not going to see anything. :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

Just gone in from the dark site down the road. I had rain and cloud up until 10pm, then it started to clear, so me and a friend risked it....

And glad we did!!

Saw around 30 meteors, plenty of good trails - totally amazing, didn't know what to expect :) At least I am no longer a Perseid's virgin! :)

Set my camera up (not tracked) just pointed at a likely piece of sky, somewhere between Cassiopea and Perseus, as that seemed quite active. It was fairly damp though, so I don't know how many images I will get from it :? Will see if tomorrow is any better.......

The milky way was magnificent, even through the dewy seeing. As it was a last minute decision, I didn't have any notes on any particular targets to look at, apart from Andromeda and the double cluster ('cos I know them now!!:)), so just sat back in a chair, flask of tea and let all the heavenly glory wash over us :)

BTW, Mars was looking fantastic - can't wait for it to get higher!

By the sounds of it, some of you weren't so lucky, which is a real shame. If I do get anything imagewise, I will of course post 'em up.

Darren

Sounds like you had fun Darren, it was a complete washout for me in Essex.

I even set the alarm for 3am on the friday morning and saturday morning but it was cloudy both times... There's always next year.

A nice strong meteor shower is great - I've seen over 300 in one night - a few years ago from a dark site. So if you get a good shower then you in for a treat.

Ant

Archived