Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Venus under excellent seeing (20/05/23)

Kon

Despite the high winds, seeing was excellent and I managed to pull some nice Venus clouds yesterday. 8" Dob , manual, asi462mm, 2.5x TV powermate, Astromania IR and UV filters. False colour IR/sG/UV. Resized 150%.

image.png.91ce46d68bd978c6f69df5b68c80fc9a.pngimage.png.46623b2acf3c27cc08ae88062fda370b.png

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Brilliant Kostas! So much different cloud formations! 

I was at a birthday party so couldn't get out last night 😜

Thanks Stuart. I am realising that Venus needs to be at 50 degrees for decent captures. 

The rest of the weekend and week are looking good so I hope you manage some nice captures.

Edited by Kon

Excellent images. Well done! 👍🏻 I was out looking at Venus visually with my 80ED ‘frac and my little used binoviwers yesterday evening too. Used 15mm EP’s in the binos, then pushed magnification up with a 2xBarlow. The image held up very well, and visually I could see some darker cloud shading on Venus which corresponded pretty well to you photographic image of the clouds.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Great captures of our sister planet. The cloud formations are particularly clear.

Thanks. I could see the clouds during the capture which was a good sign of seeing conditions.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Are you a member of the Magic Circle ??  These images are excellent.  

John 

Thanks John. Not much of Magic Circle but really good conditions. It makes a huge difference.

4 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Excellent images. Well done! 👍🏻 I was out looking at Venus visually with my 80ED ‘frac and my little used binoviwers yesterday evening too. Used 15mm EP’s in the binos, then pushed magnification up with a 2xBarlow. The image held up very well, and visually I could see some darker cloud shading on Venus which corresponded pretty well to you photographic image of the clouds.

Thanks. I am still amazed that you can pull cloud details visually. Did you use some filters? I have visually seen Venus clouds only once.

49 minutes ago, Kon said:

Thanks. I am still amazed that you can pull cloud details visually. Did you use some filters? I have visually seen Venus clouds only once.

No, no filter used. First time I’ve seen any detail too on Venus. I think the binoviwers helped with teasing out these details. Was viewing the sun in WL for sunspots earlier in the day the image in the binos with them also was very good. The sofware of the brain does a very good job of taking two images from each eye and merging them into a much clearer picture. Need to use my binoviewers much more, and wait eagerly now for some lunar work with them.

• Like 1