Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M106 - closer in

Tim

After seeing this the first time from my GSO, I then did a widefield shot of it with the little WO72, found here :

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/78410-more-little-fuzzies.html

During a freak clear spell the other night, I manged to grab 2.75 hrs worth of it through my C9.25 with focal reducer and celestron OAG.

Its a lovely galaxy this one, very colourful with the OSC QHY8 grabbing it, and I was very pleased to see a bit of pink in the outer regions, where the new stars are forming. (the QHY8 also picked up a few pinky pixels in the faint edge on galaxy nearby, you can see them on the larger image)

I'm not certain I have the spacing right from focal reducer, through OAG, to camera, as no matter how good the flats, the edges of the image are still unusable, and have very bad vignetting, I'll need to look closer at that.

Thanks for looking.

Large image here;

http://www.btinternet.com/~mr.squeegee/Astro/m106-c9.25fullsize.jpg

post-14037-133877366904_thumb.jpg

Its a stunning galaxy Tim, lovely colours and fine detail. I was begining to think after 4 attempts at it myself it was going to become my "Nemesis". Wish i had a longer focal length scope to grab a more detailed snap shot.....

Alan:)

Thats lovely Tim. very well detailed indeed , and like the colour as well ,really shows the detail. the outer part of the galaxy as you say it does need a longer exposure , hence our thread a while back. i managed to get that outer part on 106 but that was with the super Atik 16hr heheeh and a longer exposure , a good long Lum is whats needed on this devil for sure.

Rog

There was too much cloud for really long expo's so I went for 400 secs each on this. If I get a clear night i'll go for 20 mins again. Rob, its as many 400 secs as make up 2hrs, 46mins and 20 secs

Got a link to your pic Rog? I wonder what it'd look like registar'd.

Archived