SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Venus UV, IR and animated gif (18/05/2023)

NenoVento

Hi all,

These are the latest results of my quest to join the "Venus clouds imaging party":

20230518194429502_Venus-Ufilter_lapl7_ap785_Drizzle15_conv.png.e65a0637404fa634ce0237a28c6bdbdf.png

Baader Bessel U-Filter

20230518205540900_Venus-IRfilter_lapl7_ap174_Drizzle15_conv.png.a5ff5c4129178a8ba759df25ac88877f.png

Optolong IR685

Unfortunately, I still don't know how to make the trick of mixing these two images to create a false colour one. However, I do know how to produce animated gifs,  so I did just that:

VenusAnimado20230518.gif.73c67008e39479b5e1781234a5e3afcf.gif

I only had 4 captures to work with from last afternoon/night (it was rather windy, and the U-filter I'm using arrived damaged, leaving half of the image full of strange reflections, so I couldn't work with Firecapture's selfcentering ROI, as you can see in this picture:

CapturaPantalla2023-05-18193359.thumb.jpeg.1795d169fad1b87f1d07d2383deb574e.jpeg 

If you look closely at the animated gif it is possible to see movement in the clouds... Are these real cloud movements or are they due to differences in Earth athmosphere in between captures or just simple artifacts introduced during my processing?. I honestly don't know. What do you think?.

The gear:

• Sky-Watcher Skymax 180 PRO
  • RB Focus Merlin 3.0
  • ZWO 5x1.25" Electronic Filter Wheel
  • Optolong IR685, Baader Bessel U-Filter
  • Risingcam GPCMOS02000KMA
  • Sky-Watcher HEQ5

The software:

• CdC
  • FireCapture
  • ToupSky 
  • Autostakkert 
  • RegiStax 
  • The Gimp 

Thanks for looking,

NV

• Like 2

Very nice UV image. To make a false colour I followed this site but I am making changes as I go along but it will get you going

https://www.thelondonastronomer.com/it-is-rocket-science/2019/1/4/imaging-the-planet-venus

If you do a false colour, process the IR to only be sharp enough without any edge rind as it will help with the colour balance.

I have seen cloud moving before from other imagers so possibly; what is the time frame between them? I think you need a good 30min between captures.

Hi @Kon. Thanks for the link, I will study It closely. I started at about 19:00 and finished about one hour and a half later but I didn't make the captures taking care of the time in between them, so they weren't spaced evenly

15 minutes ago, NenoVento said:

Hi @Kon. Thanks for the link, I will study It closely. I started at about 19:00 and finished about one hour and a half later but I didn't make the captures taking care of the time in between them, so they weren't spaced evenly

In that case the movement is likely to be a true one than just noise.

• Thanks 1

On 19/05/2023 at 16:22, Kon said:

Very nice UV image. To make a false colour I followed this site but I am making changes as I go along but it will get you going

https://www.thelondonastronomer.com/it-is-rocket-science/2019/1/4/imaging-the-planet-venus

If you do a false colour, process the IR to only be sharp enough without any edge rind as it will help with the colour balance.

I have seen cloud moving before from other imagers so possibly; what is the time frame between them? I think you need a good 30min between captures.

Bummer, this weekend I tried to do the false colour image by using the way it is explained in this link but translated to gimp (since I don't have photoshop) and failed miserably... 

Edited by NenoVento
typo

2 hours ago, NenoVento said:

Bummer, this weekend I tried to do the false colour image by using the way it is explained in this link but translated to gimp (since I don't have photoshop) and failed miserably... 

I do mine in gimp too. A quick false colour based on your png files.

image.png.d77d1ba440874d73b2598b0d96694123.png

Edited by Kon
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...