SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Feather Touch Focuser Appreciation

14 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

I have the MEF3 micro focuser upgrade on the my wish list for my Tak FC100DF. I’ve gotten on well with the Tak standard focuser though would like the dual speed for fine focusing. There is still a bit of me that wonders whether it would be worth the wait and extra pennies for a feather touch though. 

I was quite happy with the single speed Tak focuser on my F/9 FC100-DL but the FT micro pinion came up at a good price and I fancied trying one.

I have read mixed reviews about the MEF3 but many do really like it. With these user fitted add-ons I think the care with which they are fitted can impact how well they work. As I said in my earlier posts, it took me 3 attempts to get the FT micro pinion fitted and working really well and that one does come with quite comprehensive instructions 🙄

I've never used the More Blue one so can't comment on that. 

In the past I have found dual speed crayfords (or all brands) rather variable but the Feather Touches that I have used have been "above and beyond", which Is why I started this thread 🙂

Pity that their retail prices seem so high now but isn't that the case with most really good equipment ?

• Thanks 1

They are lovely lovely things. I just fitted a 1.25” (for lunt i think) ft single speed focuser to my Tal newt. I didn’t want to go up to 2” as i didn’t want the added size and the scope doesn’t do well wide angle- it’s a 1.25” only scope. The focuser is more reasonably priced though still quite expensive- $280. I had it delivered to a friend in the US and picked it up last month when i visited for work. Dual speed would have doubled the price. Dual speed adds inertia and makes focusers feel smoother than they really are but after slackening the tightness of the single speed shaft against the focuser barrel this one is delightfully smooth and feather-touch. A big upgrade over the Tal r&p which had tight spots and slack.

My imaging scope came with a  2” dual speed ft and it is lovely too- I got really lucky. It supports over 1kg of camera etc rock solidly and the way the lock works is superb. it really solidly locks but 1/4 turn of the lock screw and it’s silky smooth to make fine adjustments to the focus 

Mark

D26EB617-FAF5-4637-B08A-C4AD2A7A48F0.thumb.jpeg.4efccb580017ca09dc0b071ddb762805.jpegso cute! 🥰 

91CA2988-B297-43C7-B4BF-E17049AD44D9.jpeg

Edited by markse68
  • Like 2

I have the extra lightweight version, in gold, with the integrated Televue Paracor Televue aka 'SIPS'.

5 years of faultless work.

BTW the rear of the SIPS doesnt move with focus and has a 48mm thread - so I attached a 2" filter wheel

IMG_0436.jpeg

IMG_3789.jpeg

• Like 2

On 18/05/2023 at 11:16, Mr Spock said:

they are unobtanium

Indeed. I ordered a FT focuser for my MakNewt last August. After months of delays and email correspondence with the retailer (astroshop), I canceled that order a few weeks ago, and ordered the Omegon 2" Steeltrail instead. By adding just € 65 to the original order I now have a stable, working focuser with a Pegasus Astro FocusCube and a Pegasus Astro Powerbox Advance.

I read on CN about the hard times that Starlight Instruments is experiencing, plus that their patents are about to expire (not sure if that's true). Asian focuser manufacturers are catching up quick, giving SI serious competition.

• Sad 1