Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Upgraded springs

13 minutes ago, Mike Q said:

You can't even really make that comparison because the two scopes arent exactly the same.  If i end up doing it i will probably just paint the area opposite the focuser first and see what that does.  Plus, and this may be a non-issue, i don't like the thought of a fuzzy material possibly shedding onto my primary.  

I’ve spend a massive amount of time on the planets before and after. Literally every opportunity (my daughter is a fan). Something I’ve done - flocking and/or the painting - has made a difference.

I flocked my OTA 16 months ago. I’ve had the primary out recently. In that time there’s been no shedding of fibres onto my primary. Although I had a dead fly on my primary - very annoying! 

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, PeterStudz said:

I’ve spend a massive amount of time on the planets before and after. Literally every opportunity (my daughter is a fan). Something I’ve done - flocking and/or the painting - has made a difference.

I flocked my OTA 16 months ago. I’ve had the primary out recently. In that time there’s been no shedding of fibres onto my primary. Although I had a dead fly on my primary - very annoying! 

Like I said it may be a non-issue.  I think I would probably go for a prime and paint.  If shedding can happen, it will happen to me. Thats just the kind of luck i have 

On 17/05/2023 at 10:33, wookie1965 said:

upgrade the springs can someone point me in the right direction for some please. 

Hi

10" mirror? We'd recommend 6 off, 1.6mm wire; 3 replacements and a further 3 passive springs using the locking screws as retainers.
These guys are good; less than a week to Spain. Not sure where you are but if you're in a rush, ask for local shipping at the checkout.

Full list of all sizes, here.

Cheers and HTH

Edited by alacant

If springs are causing a issue. You likely will get more stability. But its also possible the mirror will shift a little. In fact it actually should be shifting a little. I would be more concerned if it wasn't moving a little. If you setup the telescope when horizontal. You will find its going to move once higher on a target. But again it should, that's actually good, as long as the movement is small. We are not talking miles here. Its best to set the primary not horizontal, but outside on a target. 

Doing lunar and planetary i adjust the primary nearly every time i image. Sometimes it holds close for a while then goes off. Probably a knock or some such. But its good practice to check and tweak if needed every session. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi

10" mirror so you need decent springs. We'd recommend 6 off, 1.6mm wire; 3 replacements and a further 3 passive springs using the locking screws as retainers.
These guys are good; less than a week to Spain. Not sure where you are but if you're in a rush, ask for local shipping at the checkout.

Full list of all sizes, here.

Cheers and HTH

I have sent for some which were suggested to me from boson21 but thank you so much really appreciate it.

Yes, as @neil phillips says it’ll possibly shift a little and that’s not a bad thing - good point. After a while you get familiar with that and know what’s acceptable.

When I first had my primary mirror out I put it back in with the clips too loose. After collimating and playing “chase the donut” for a good 45 mins I realised what was going on. 

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, PeterStudz said:

Yes, as @neil phillips says it’ll possibly shift a little and that’s not a bad thing - good point. After a while you get familiar with that and know what’s acceptable.

When I first had my primary mirror out I put it back in with the clips too loose. After collimating and playing “chase the doughnut” for a good 45 mins I realised what was going on. 

This is shifting quite a bit the whole donut out so definitely need something. 

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Have your springs arrived yet?

No between the 30th of May and the 5th of June Ian already got flicking material but I don't think there is enough two 1 metre by 45" just going to do the best I can.