Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Sun is BIG

Ags

I was just thinking today (some might say I should do that more frequently)… if you placed Earth at the center of the Sun, the Moon would only be slightly more than halfway to the surface of our star. Yellow “dwarf” indeed!

• Like 3

The thing that always gets me is that if you put Betelgeuse in the sun's place, it's outer layers would extend most of the way to Jupiter. I just cannot get my head around the notion of a single thing that large - and it's not even close to being the largest known star!

• Like 1

Seems an odd way of comparing sizes when the suited figure is larger than the earth, sitting in a city on a planet bigger than the massive suns illustrated.  It's own moon and logically it's own star are even bigger. And with all that it's a bit dusky.

Maybe I'm taking it too literally 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

Seems an odd way of comparing sizes when the suited figure is larger than the earth, sitting in a city on a planet bigger than the massive suns illustrated.  It's own moon and logically it's own star are even bigger. And with all that it's a bit dusky.

Maybe I'm taking it too literally 😁

Doesn't work for me either ,  just plain silly. 

Erm, the clue is in the title. The sun is human sized, everything else is in relation to human size so you can visualise the size magnitude compared to the environment around you. From the outset it's a little bit odd but the only one I found which just compares stars and not other astronomical objects.