SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M 101 in b&w....One for Rog!

RobH

Hello All,

I’ve spent the last couple of days going back over my colour data for the image of M101 I posted recently.

It was pointed out by several people that the colour in this image tended towards the reds, rather than the traditional blues more normally seen in this object.

After a lot of experimentation, I found that the cause of this was the much stronger Ha data I used, which had been obtained with an Atik 16HR, as opposed to the SXVF H16 used to gather the rest of the data, the 16HR proving to be a much more sensitive camera.

I then reprocessed my colour data, leaving out the Ha, but after spending several hours trying to bring out the colour, came to the conclusion that the signal in my colour data is too weak to be useful, as, no matter what techniques I used, colour noise soon became a problem once I’d stretched the image.

Consequently, I plan to go back and get new colour data for this, probably with the 16HR, or perhaps a borrowed 16HRC, and then do a reprocess (I’ll have to do a mosaic as the FOV of the 16HR is considerably smaller than the SXV)

As I’d spent a lot of time on the first attempt at this, which should really be regarded as a false colour image to some extent, much the same as narrowband images, and was very pleased with the result, I decided to convert it to greyscale, see what it looked like, and use this as my luminance data for the next process.

I’m very pleased with the B&W result, so here it is….again….M101, in mono, for Rog 'cos I know you like mono Rog :)

Cheers

Rob

post-14403-133877366838_thumb.jpg

Very nice....

Was that "processing on a plane£ or havent you left yet...?

Is there ever any merit in feeding an image like that back in as "L" I have played with converting a OSC image into BnW "fiddling" with it then usign with the original RGB it as a "syntheic L" as I am a cack handed processor....

Peter....

Well it makes a fabulous luminance image, Rob. We were talking about the larger Kodak chipped cameras elsewhere. Are you a bit disappointed with the sensitivity or is it more a question of balancing the data from the 16HR with that from the Starlight?

Olly

Thanks guys....I like it in mono!

Peter, I got to Moscow a couple of hours ago, and was trying to get my colour data to work on the way from Tokyo, but it's just not having it.

Yes, it is worth converting your OSC data to mono, and using it as luminance.

If I'm using an OSC camera, I convert to greyscale, and work on this as I would with normal luminance data, and also convert the OSC image into its separate colour channels, and then deal with them as if they were taken through filters.

I've found you can get much better results with a lot more control this way.

Olly, TBH I am dissapointed in the sensitivity of the SXV as opposed to the 16HR, and very dissapointed in the way it blooms and saturates so easily in binned mode.

I want a big chipped 16HR :)

Cheers

Rob

That actually looks better Rob I reckon, really nice. If its ok with you, im going to registar it into my data and see what pops out.

Interesting to hear about how you use the osc data too. Remind me which Bitter you like, might need to lock you in my caravan again :)

Safe journey.

Hello Tim.

I reckon it looks better in mono too :)

I still want to get the colour data right though, I can't help it, once I get the scent that's it :)

Please do registar it, I'm looking forward to seeing the result, and looking forward to seeing registar in use.

Actually, do you fancy emailing me a high res colour image of yours (tiff), and I'll send you a Tiff of this?

Then we can both have a bash.

Seriously, does anyone have any idea what camera out there would be the equivalent of a big chipped 16HR?

Cheers

Rob

Archived