Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

plato processing

neil phillips

Just now, Kon said:

Spectacular! The rilles are really well defined. Is this with the 12"?

Cheers, yes its the 12"  

1200 is a lot of frames. But dont forget from 20.000 its still the top 6%. As long as both films are of equal quality. These were taken one after another

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Tremendous rille detail Neil!

I can see you've pushed that one quite hard. Not sure if its my monitor but  I can see halos inside the craters?

Yes pushed a bit harder. Adding gamma on Pipp also likely adds those kind of artefacts more. I do know how to remove them. Adding blacks can help. But i don't always like adding too. Much.  I know another way to totally remove any of that,

Those kind of effects don't bother me as much as they used too. Defiantly not your monitor. At some point when i can be bothered i might remove them. But I don feel the need as much as i use to. If you look closely they was also on the other processes i did. On the other post. Again they don't really bother me like they did in the past.

Cheers 

Edited by neil phillips

5 minutes ago, neil phillips said:

Yes pushed a bit harder. Adding gamma on Pipp also likely adds those kind of artefacts. I do know how to remove them. Adding blacks can help. But i don't always like adding too. Much.  I know another way to totally remove any of that,

Those kind of effects don't bother me as much as they used too. Defiantly not your monitor. At some point when i can be bothered i might remove them. But I don feel the need as much as i use to

Cheers 

Ok, just thought I'd mention it. 🙂 Just been comparing the shot I took on 1st May. Interesting seeing the difference the shadows make in that region, yours being longer. Might try drizzle myself provided the 10000 alingment points dont vaporise my processor. 😮

2 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Ok, just thought I'd mention it. 🙂 Just been comparing the shot I took on 1st May. Interesting seeing the difference the shadows make in that region, yours being longer. Might try drizzle myself provided the 10000 alingment points dont vaporise my processor. 😮

Yes. Its really just diffraction effects. That get enhanced during processing similar to what you get on mars edge rind. 

Herse's what Martin Lewis says 

The simplest approach in dealing with edge-rind is to leave it in place, letting it stand as a tacitly acknowledged artefact. If this is felt to be unacceptable, however, a number of techniques exist which can be used to try to remove it.

Edited by neil phillips

20 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Yes especially at large chip sizes. I can see the smoke coming out already. And a long beard. Before the image is finished 😁

Very nice Plato, the rough terrain to the right of the crater is always visually striking.

On the crater and edge artifacts, there is a perhaps a little bit unethical but effective way to hide them in Photoshop using the blur tool. Just paint the bright crater edges or other places where sharpening has uncovered artifacts while using a very high zoom level and the tool width at some small value like 5px. Then viewing the image back at 100% there is little evidence that this took place if you did not overdo it. I am certainly not above using the tool anyway and have found it useful if a handful of craters in an image have suffered.

1 hour ago, neil phillips said:

Yes. Its really just diffraction effects. That get enhanced during processing similar to what you get on mars edge rind. 

Herse what Martin Lewis says 

The simplest approach in dealing with edge-rind is to leave it in place, letting it stand as a tacitly acknowledged artefact. If this is felt to be unacceptable, however, a number of techniques exist which can be used to try to remove it.

Ok Neil 👍 

Seems 16GB is not enough memory to drizzle a 4K colour sensor. 99% memory usage on my laptop with a freezing screen. Its not all a bed of roses with the big chips.

2 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Very nice Plato, the rough terrain to the right of the crater is always visually striking.

On the crater and edge artifacts, there is a perhaps a little bit unethical but effective way to hide them in Photoshop using the blur tool. Just paint the bright crater edges or other places where sharpening has uncovered artifacts while using a very high zoom level and the tool width at some small value like 5px. Then viewing the image back at 100% there is little evidence that this took place if you did not overdo it. I am certainly not above using the tool anyway and have found it useful if a handful of craters in an image have suffered.

Yes I know a similar tech. On image analyzer. I got to a stage where its difficult to tell its been done, other than the fact its not there.

I kind of got to stage with it. That it felt more honest just to leave it be. But i have removed them on occasion. The older i get the more i tend to ignore it now. Used to bug me in the past i admit.

1 hour ago, Space Cowboy said:

Ok Neil 👍 

Seems 16GB is not enough memory to drizzle a 4K colour sensor. 99% memory usage on my laptop with a freezing screen. Its not all a bed of roses with the big chips.

No i can imagine. Non drizzle and fewer bigger boxes is probably more doable.