Narrowband

Binoviewers

Hi everyone I'm looking at getting the baader maxbright binoviewers for my bresser 10" dob I have a few questions regarding setup

1)will my R&P  2 1/2  inch hex focuser support binos I'm thinking yes as it's built like a challenger tank

2) what EPs would work well I'd like the morpheus 9mms  for Planetary and es 68-82° EPs. Would 2 68° 24mm work well aswel for DSO's. Or Would they be to heavy?

I'd like to stay with the baader or es as these are the two brands I'd like nice collections of eps on.

I was looking at trying to get a push to kit for the bresser but currently there isn't one on the market for my dob. 

You'll need some kind of barlow or glass path corrector to reach focus and that will multiply the magnification of a given set of eyepieces, so you may be using the long focal lengths for planetary and low power is out of the question. Maxbright II is an excellent binoviewer.

14 minutes ago, billy86 said:

The binoviewer set I've been looking at comes with a class path corrector thankfully. So I'd be looking at 17mm upwards EPs for Planetary? Would that be the same for DSOs

Which binoviewer and GPC are you looking at Billy? Newtinians can be challenging in terms of reaching focus so make sure whatever you buy factors that in, and you can return it if it doesn’t work.

9 hours ago, billy86 said:

I was looking at trying to get a push to kit for the bresser but currently there isn't one on the market for my dob. 

Worth you having a look at this thread - 

It does require buying a whole starsense telescope such as https://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-starsense-explorer-series/celestron-starsense-explorer-lt-70-az-refractor-telescope.html as for some reason Celestron haven't had the idea to release it stand alone, but at that price, it's cheaper than most push to kits anyway, certainly worth a look 👍

• Thanks 1

The GPC’s that are for the Maxbright II Binoviewer aren’t suitable for a Newtonian. I was thinking about one for my 12” dobsonian but the Baader GPC specifically designed for Newtonians has been discontinued and they are in the process of designing a new one. I am waiting for this to be released.

7 hours ago, billy86 said:

The binoviewer set I've been looking at comes with a class path corrector thankfully. So I'd be looking at 17mm upwards EPs for Planetary? Would that be the same for DSOs

@bosun21 is correct.

If you plug the 1.7x refractor gpc into the bino unit, you will still be quite a way short of reaching focus. (I tried this myself with my Mk5 to see if it would work on a 10" OO F4.7 : it didn't)

You can either : Use a Powermate / Barlow to reach focus, but then you're tied into a high power

Buy the dedicated Newt 1.7x gpc second hand. As mentioned they are currently unavailable.   https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/accessories/optical-accessories/bino-viewer/2"-glaspathcorrectorr-17x-for-newtons.html 

(it works well, and cancels out Coma, but again, ties you in to high power viewing. It also adds more weight to the bino and eyepieces setup. Is your focuser up to it ? Will you have balance issues on your Dob ? Quite possibly.)

I'm not trying to put you off, but rather flag up the potential pitfalls. Binoviewing through a Newtonian is challenging.

Another option is  different binoviewer altogether. Denkmeier work well with Newtonians but are expensive to begin with.

Then there are the 'Linear' type viewers. FLO sell then, however, i cannot recommend them myself having never used them. Reviews are mixed.  https://www.firstlightoptics.com/binoviewers/stellalyra-125-linear-erect-image-binoviewer.html

Good luck ; let us know how you get on.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

Buy the dedicated Newt 1.7x gpc second hand.

That’s what I tried to do and put wanted adds both on ABS and SGL ages ago with zero replies. I have since abandoned the idea due to all the difficulties you outlined. I will now just be content buying them for my Starfield 102.

10 hours ago, Stu said:

Which binoviewer and GPC are you looking at Billy? Newtinians can be challenging in terms of reaching focus so make sure whatever you buy factors that in, and you can return it if it doesn’t work.

It's the baader maxbright 

10 hours ago, Stu said:

I've been using my Arcturus BV with the nosepiece from a Meade 140 2x Barlow screwed into the nose of the BV to reach focus in my Dob, and to boost focal length by 3x.  My Dob has has only 25mm of design in-focus, and I've tried this kit in various other scopes I own with only marginal focus shift from using an eyepiece alone, so I know it will reach focus in pretty much anything.

For eyepieces, I prefer smaller, lighter eyepieces such as the 20mm Svbony 68 degree red lines or adapted 15x B&L microscope eyepieces.  Big, heavy, wide eyepieces can be difficult to get your nose between and to achieve balance on smaller scopes.

The Barlow is vintage as are the microscope eyepieces, although I had a machinist make the adapters for me.  However, all up, I spent less than $400 on everything over the past decade, so I don't feel too bad using them so infrequently.

I've seen amazing details on Mars at opposition with this kit, so I know it's all working well together in the Dob.

Basic, entry level BVs can work fantastically well.  Just make sure to get a version that uses collets instead of thumbscrews to hold the eyepieces.  You may still need to fill undercuts with tape if the barrels aren't smooth to avoid tipping during tightening.

Baader has a set of 8- 68* ep, you can also break up the set and buy them individually at many online retailers Highpoint Scientific for example. 

Personally I would buy two Baader Zoom Mark IV EP since you’re interested in the 68 to 82 degree range the Zoom has a field of view of 50-68 degrees as you adjust its magnification and the Zoom is just a little short of this and it gives you 4 different magnification settings at 8,12,16, and 24 focal lengths.  That’s just my personal preference at owning one it’s a pretty good mid quality EP giving nice flat views with exceptional eye relief it’s actually my most used EP after my 40 mm Wide field EP.  Also like you I am becoming partial to Baader I like the quality of their optics.

IMG_1594.jpeg

IMG_1595.jpeg

Edited by StarDuke82
Wanted to say that claim firsthand experience at owning one