Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

5 observable ISS passes predicted in one night (Fri 12-13 May)

Leo S

Was not sure where to post this, so please feel free to post somewhere else if this forum is not appropriate.

Apparently we should be able to catch 5 ISS passes in just one night. Between me and my wife we once managed to observe 4 in one night, but I can't ever remember seeing 5 passes predicted in a single night. Hopefully there should be a chance of observing all 5 if the forecast is correct. Anyone else up for the challenge?

CO120523.jpg.38e77454e0b3cc1ec49c07de407099ac.jpg

• Like 2

You're welcome. I had a look at the pass details and passes #1, #2, and #5 look like they will be quite challenging to observe here (trees blocking the view towards ESE). I guess those based further south should get higher passes that will be easier to observe.

• Like 1

Not looking even slightly clear here tonight sadly, but I did have a go at the ISS a few nights back (100523 - 03:30 UT) while it was clear.

7D II + EF 800mm - 1/2500s @ 5.6 (ISO 640) - Wimberly gimbal head + Gitzo 1325

B92A6132.jpg.a7e057c17b2d3999123297690b8369ca.jpg

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Leo S said:

Not looking even slightly clear here tonight sadly, but I did have a go at the ISS a few nights back (100523 - 03:30 UT) while it was clear.

7D II + EF 800mm - 1/2500s @ 5.6 (ISO 640) - Wimberly gimbal head + Gitzo 1325

B92A6132.jpg.a7e057c17b2d3999123297690b8369ca.jpg

Nice capture!

Not looking at all clear tonight here in Southampton. But it is looking clear tomorrow (Saturday night the 13th May) when, as far as I can tell, there should be 4 visible passes. 

• Like 1

It’s the May 11-18th here where I live US according to the official website two passes each night one after sunset and one just before sunrise each day. Last night it was storming so far this evening looks promising.🤞🏻

• Like 1

Looks like it's clouding up later so almost certainly only two viable passes tonight. The first might be challenging as it's quite low down, but I may have a go anyway. I can't remember the last time I caught a before-midnight pass... probably because they are not in the best direction for me!

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to observe the first three passes, after which fog rolled in. I'm not sure I could have stayed up much longer that night anyway.

Now it looks like there will be no passes at all for at least one or two weeks - typical - just got a 2x TC and wanted to see if I could get some better images using that together with the EF 800!