Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Cwmdu Marathon Part One at Spring Astro Camp 2023

DirkSteele

As mentioned elsewhere on this forum today, I have been pretty much absent from SGL for the last 2 years as my wife and I welcomed a little girl into our family days before Christmas 2020.  Hopeful I will have an observing buddy in a few years.  That absence as also extended to my astronomy generally though I have managed a session here and there.  However, I did attend the Spring Astro Camp in Wales a few weeks ago.  In the welcome pack was a list of 42 targets (some muliple objects) named the Cwmdu Bannau Brycheiniog Marathon.  The second part will be presented for the Autumn camp.  On the clear night of Sunday into Monday (which was very memorable for the amazing aurora display - see below) I decided to attempt all 42 with my 105mm triplet on a simple Alt-Az.  When reviewing the list, it was apparent this was a combination of eyepiece showstoppers and more quirky objects which have an interesting astrophysical angle.

The write up is on the link.  If you have read one of these before, you know I can get a little poetic and hence wordy.  This is the longest one yet (probably should have split in two).  Anyway, click this way to see if I was successful....

http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2023/05/05/the-cwmdu-marathon-part-one-at-spring-astro-camp-2023/

Aurora1.thumb.jpg.de2552ef83cabf35bc415bcd5f3766ea.jpg

This was taken handheld with my iPhone 13 Pro.

Edited by DirkSteele
typo
  • Like 4