Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Fraunhoffer lines, which way round are these?

Hi Folks,

I'm testing a LowSpec 3.0 here (lent to me by a friend).  I've been playing around with different cameras.  Here's a QHY5Liii-178m as the science camera.  Are those the sodium lines in the middle?

image.png.a53d3f3bfb8eb0292b2cfe5084fc5368.png

And it that green to the left? 

What do you think?

Kind regards

Steve.

1 hour ago, Oldfort said:

Does this help?

IMG_1055.JPG

Great, so mine is the same way round as yours.  How did you take yours?  And they are both Red on the left. 

I'll flip mine round, then.

Thank you so much.

Kind regards

Steve.

I took mine with an Lhires III.  It was a long time ago, but I think I used a Canon 5D Mk2.  I don't remember what resolution grating I used, but I was pleased with the result.

• Like 1

Here is mine with a LHIRES (much reduced) Unfortunately I lost the full size version.

http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk/astro/spectra_28.htm

I suggest moving to the red until you see the very distinct Oxygen telluric band pattern (at the end of my spectrum) and then work back from there.  H alpha is broad and strong, the Na D lines are distinct but some of the weaker lines round there are telluric water lines so dont always show clearly. The Mg triplet should also be clear. At the violet end you should see two broad strong Calcium H J lines before the sensitivity of the camera runs out

Cheers

Robin

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, robin_astro said:

Here is mine with a LHIRES (much reduced) Unfortunately I lost the full size version.

http://www.threehillsobservatory.co.uk/astro/spectra_28.htm

I suggest moving to the red until you see the very distinct Oxygen telluric band pattern (at the end of my spectrum) and then work back from there.  H alpha is broad and strong, the Na D lines are distinct but some of the weaker lines round there are telluric water lines so dont always show clearly. The Mg triplet should also be clear. At the violet end you should see two broad strong Calcium H J lines before the sensitivity of the camera runs out

Cheers

Robin

Did you take this with a colour camera, or add the colour afterwards?

12 minutes ago, SteveBz said:

Did you take this with a colour camera, or add the colour afterwards?

This was taken in colour with a Toucam pro  webcam and 85 frames stitched to together. The first spectrum I took with my newly constructed LHIRES kit back in 2006. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SteveBz said:

Can I ask, how do you find ta specific star?  Are you able to plate-solve in the guide-scope?

I am quite old school.  My scope is linked to Cartes du Ciel. I use the finder (with a webcam strapped to the eyepiece) to find  bright stars and then centre  them in the spectrograph mirror slit guider (I don't have a guidescope on the telescope) and align on them. I then star hop to the target using fainter stars using CdC and the guider image, syncing as necessary as I go . For crowded fields I download and overlay a DSS image to CdC so I can match what I see in the spectrograph guider and identify the target. (I usually then take a shot of the guider image as a record that I took the right target) Very occasionally If I get completely lost I may resort to taking a deeper guider image and plate solving it but that is rare. 

Cheers

Robin

• Like 1