Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Venus in UV First Image (Astromania UV Filter)

orion25

I got my Astromania Planetary filter set last week and played with some imaging using my Orion 180mm Mak and ASI 224mc camera. I wasn't expecting too much because of the cheap price of the set (around $80 US for the UV, IR, and methane filters) but I was pleasantly surprised to get some good detail! This is a first image that I plan to improve upon. No ghosting, but it seems to be a bit out of focus. I have the Antlia UV filter on the way which is a bit more expensive (around $200 US), but still cheaper than the Baader or Astrodon; it has great specs and I expect good things from it.

ASTRONOMY-VENUS(UVFILTERASTRO)5-04-23B.jpg.4d7fb97a41957221df4d2cc7470d564f.jpg

Cheers!

Reggie

ASTRONOMY - VENUS (UV FILTER ASTRO) 5-04-23 A.jpg

• Like 7

Looking nice and still pulling details with the mak. Yes it's a nice filter for the price. It's good you are not suffering from the ghosting on your colour camera. I have removed the AR window from my asi462mm to get that extra signal but others here might advise against due to potential issues with dust on the sensor.

Regarding focus it's quite difficult with the UV unless seeing is very good. I am only capturing during daylight and when the sun is still high up as the atmosphere is more stable. I noticed you have colour on your images. If that's only UV filter process it as monochrome.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Kon said:

Looking nice and still pulling details with the mak. Yes it's a nice filter for the price. It's good you are not suffering from the ghosting on your colour camera. I have removed the AR window from my asi462mm to get that extra signal but others here might advise against due to potential issues with dust on the sensor.

Regarding focus it's quite difficult with the UV unless seeing is very good. I am only capturing during daylight and when the sun is still high up as the atmosphere is more stable. I noticed you have colour on your images. If that's only UV filter process it as monochrome.

Thanks for the advice, Kon :) Your post was really informative and helped a lot. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I got an Antlia UV filter on the way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, orion25 said:

Thanks for the advice, Kon :) Your post was really informative and helped a lot. Thanks for sharing your experiences. I got an Antlia UV filter on the way.

I am glad you found it helpful. Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.

• Thanks 1