Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Huge Solar Prom Today

MalcolmM

Did anyone else see the huge changing prom this afternoon?

I was ducking in and out while cooking and it seemed to change shape before my eyes. This may be slightly wishful thinking as with an unguided mount the sun is moving in and out of the Lunt 50 sweetspot and I'm nudging it to try and keep the feature in the sweetshop as best as possible. 

I was using a Lunt 50 plus Stella Lyra Linear Binoviewers plus BCO 10mm eyepieces. 

At its largest I estimated it to be approximately 1/8 the diameter of the sun in height. At one point it resembled a 4 legged deer (as opposed to a deer with any other number of legs 🙂 )

Malcolm 

• Like 6

Clouded and rained all day here. Gong record shows it quite well at 17:15. Must have been very impressive to see it live, it seems to lift off in just a few minutes.

Edited by Nik271
  • Like 1

I saw many proms today and one looked like an eagle with a dolphin in its beak, that would be a huge eagle! I think @JeremyS may be onto something with the wildlife proms comment, maybe this could be the solar wildlife thread!

Edited by Sunshine
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

I saw many proms today and one looked like an eagle with a dolphin in its beak, that would be a huge eagle! I think @JeremyS may be onto something with the wildlife proms comment, maybe this could be the solar wildlife thread!

I remember reading a book on the Moon in the school library,  dated I think around the turn of the last century (my school library was bang up to date 🙂). It was talking about the serious possibility of there being Elephant like animals on the moon! I have seen a couple of Elephant proms however!

Malcolm 

• Haha 2