SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

StellaLyra Dual Alt-Az Mount & Wooden Tripod

The Mount is a skytee 2 with a name change.

For mine I made a pair of 400mm semi flexible controls  using the black knobs for the  control ends.

Four brass 6mm couplers, a 6mm brass rod cut in two and then 2 x 250mm x 6mm  strimmer drive cable to add a bit of flexibility to the ends.

Remove  two of the Black knobs and attach one 6mm brass rod approx. 150mm long with a coupler on each end, tighten the coupler to the knob worm drive end , insert the strimmer drive cable to the other coupler end . Before fitting the Black knob , I added bit of 6.3mm Black heatshrink to the strimmer drive cable to improve the look.

DSCF1585.JPG

DSCF1587.JPG

Edited by Naughty Neal
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Naughty Neal said:

The Mount is a skytee 2 looks like a simple rebadging in name.

Telescope Services and Stellarvue have done the same with this mount so why not FLO ?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, John said:

Telescope Services and Stellarvue have done the same with this mount so why not FLO ?

Nothing wrong with it being  a Skytee 2 rebrand , a good move to add a sturdy  more affordable  mount to the stable .

I would have bought it from FLO had it been available but used RVO as they had it in their inventory.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

The tripod looks remarkably similar to my Berlebach Report 312....

I think it is very similar to the tripod that William Optics and Baader used to have in their ranges quite a few years back. In the USA Oberwerk list something very similar as their TR3 model.

I've been comparing the new Stellalyra dual alt az mount with the Skytee II which is still listed by FLO at £289.00 vs the £319.00 for the Stellalyra. It's not immediately clear what the differences are - is there something internal perhaps ?

On 05/05/2023 at 19:29, Naughty Neal said:

The Mount is a skytee 2 with a name change.

This is not a secret. This mount has been available in one form or another for many years. It was why I said "kinda" new. We also confirmed this in an earlier discussion

The mount is manufactured by United Optics and is sourced and sold by several retailers/distributors. 

On 05/05/2023 at 19:36, John said:

Why not, indeed 🙂 

On 05/05/2023 at 23:08, John said:

I've been comparing the new Stellalyra dual alt az mount with the Skytee II which is still listed by FLO at £289.00 vs the £319.00 for the Stellalyra. It's not immediately clear what the differences are - is there something internal perhaps ?

The StellaLyra model includes two counterweights. 

HTH

stellalyra_dual_az_mnt_2_sgl.jpg.29fe87ed20dd287d9190319873041361.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

They've been keeping quiet on the REALLY important new release:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-magnetic-handle.html

Better be quick.  They've only got 96 and knowing the forum, some people are going to end up with scopes that look like hedgehogs.

ae_magnetic_handle_1e.jpg

Or kit out a small army of Daleks 

37C735AE-F580-4D98-82A9-4F8112E231C1.jpeg.f07ea6778ec8a1aaa98a8401ba9697a7.jpeg

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

They've been keeping quiet on the REALLY important new release:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-magnetic-handle.html

Better be quick.  They've only got 96 and knowing the forum, some people are going to end up with scopes that look like hedgehogs.

ae_magnetic_handle_1e.jpg

Be great placed on the underside of your dobsonian for moving it around the sky. Depends how heavy they are.

Edit:- just read the listing and that’s what they are for. Lol.

Edited by bosun21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ratlet said:

I might get 2.  I'm wondering if they'll 'handle' 8kg of lifting force could I make use of my obsolete 1kg ioptron counterweight for a weight to balance my dob.

Just buy a couple of disc metal covered magnets from Amazon. They are only £6.?? each.

On 05/05/2023 at 19:00, Alan White said:

Be interesting how the AZ75 sits on this

Let us know if it is a good match as the Berlebach equivalent is expensive. Presume your AZ75 is M10 then. It says the tripod has an M10 adapter, do you know what is under that? Eg is the adapter removable? I am looking for 3/8" but can swap out the screw.

• Like 1

I have a wooden tripod which, though not exactly the same quality as the new one that FLO are offering, closely mirrors it's design.

I haven't used it for a while but I do recall it being very stable with the mounts that I tried it with which included the Skytee II, the Ercole, a Giro III and a Vixen GP.

The design looks more slender in some ways than the Berlebach Uni but the wide leg / top bracket design gives a lot of stability and better vibration dampening / resistance. More than you would think from the weight / mass of the tripod.

To be honest I'd forgotten that I had this tripod until I re-read the FLO announcement today 🙄

st2wood.jpg.4b07f2709b2a4aaf6bc718ef0806d432.jpg

takvixeq02.JPG.3e5928ceeb2cd62a9adc5c31d05caaf4.JPG

Edited by John
  • Like 6