SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

A Question for all of you Stellalyra 6" CC owners

I  just received a Stellalyra 6" CC a few days ago. It's mounted on my Celestron AVX. I am using the 2" extension ring included before the focuser, a 2" William Optics dielectric diagonal & a Svbony 191 7.2 -21 zoom eyepiece. For balancing the RA is no problem. But declination, man it's bottom heavy! My ADM saddle is locked at the very back of the scopes vixen dovetail. I took the eyepiece out & it's still bottom heavy. I knew this scope had a reputation for that but looking in photos of fellow owners with similar setups I did not see any front mounted counterweights installed. It seems to me that I need some sort of weight in the front, had anyone else found this?

stellalyra1.jpeg

stellalyra2.jpeg

32 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Would one of these help? 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/counterweights/baader-dovetail-bar-levelling-counterweight.html

I have one for a different purpose and, though expensive, it's a beautifully engineered bit of kit.

That sure is a nice little gadget, & yes pricey too. I think my main culprit is my W.O. 2 diagonal. It weighs 1.01 lbs. So I think my solution for better balancing is either a dovetail counterweight or a light 1.25 diagonal.

I have the WO 2 " diagonal too - it's superb and worth hanging on to if you can. I'm lucky in that I can balance my scope with it on very easily, even when I add a Clicklock 2"-1.25" adaptor.

The Baader counterweight is 1kg and you have plenty of travel at the top of your dovetail, so it should still be possible to get balance, even with the 2" diagonal.

9 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

I have the WO 2 " diagonal too - it's superb and worth hanging on to if you can. I'm lucky in that I can balance my scope with it on very easily, even when I add a Clicklock 2"-1.25" adaptor.

The Baader counterweight is 1kg and you have plenty of travel at the top of your dovetail, so it should still be possible to get balance, even with the 2" diagonal.

I share the W.O. 2" diagonal with my TS Optics Photoline 102 refractor, yes it's a nice piece of equipment. Maybe either the Baader counterweight that you have or the ADM version that is considerably less expensive.

I use a spare dovetail clamp attached to the front end of the dovetail. Had intended to add some weights to it but found it has been heavy enough to achieve balance by itself. 

Stephen 

I would add my thumbs up for the baader counterweight. This is the Losmandy version on the 8" CC but it works a treat even counterbalancing binoviewers when its pushed along the rail towards the front. I agree all the weight of these scopes is in the mirror plane.J0EA4143.thumb.jpeg.6076076d4d7b7ddfbf899ca2c5c122e4.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

My $45.00 Can. solution.  I had an ADM vixen style camera mount that I was no longer using. Bought 3 Small Rigg 200gram counterweights from Amazon that happened to screw into the camera mount. I can slide it up & down the rail, works perfectly for the setup that you see here. 

345708403_704158748385661_7189461070316299436_n.jpeg

• Like 2