Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Going really deep?

Not my deepest image in terms of data gathered (around 2.5 h), but I was alerted to the presence of quasars in my image of NGC 3718, NGC 3729, and Hickson 56. There is a useful map of the area here

I was quite amazed to see I got 6 out of 8 listed. There are some very faint hints of the other two, but having captured an object 11.2 billion Ly away from my back garden is quite amazing, I feel. Makes me want to grab more data on this lovely target.

NGC3718-3729-Hickson56-HSLrecombannotated.thumb.jpg.0e95cc21b7a14d77bfd1ffd962fa366f.jpg

• Like 16

3 hours ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Not my deepest image in terms of data gathered (around 2.5 h), but I was alerted to the presence of quasars in my image of NGC 3718, NGC 3729, and Hickson 56. There is a useful map of the area here

I was quite amazed to see I got 6 out of 8 listed. There are some very faint hints of the other two, but having captured an object 11.2 billion Ly away from my back garden is quite amazing, I feel. Makes me want to grab more data on this lovely target.

NGC3718-3729-Hickson56-HSLrecombannotated.thumb.jpg.0e95cc21b7a14d77bfd1ffd962fa366f.jpg

Interesting stuff! How were you alerted to the quasars? Thanks 

• Like 1

Truly mind bending numbers at play here, love to see it. Now i have fallen down the Quasar search rabbit hole to see just how long did some of those photons spend on the way to my camera sensor.

This is amazing! I can't wrap my head around the fact that photons from those distant objects took billions of years to finally reach your camera's sensor. Those distances are just incomprehensible compared to the tiny world we live in.

• Like 1