SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Best way to search sky in a new location?

Hi – I'm travelling for two weeks to Arizona and Utah. What's the best way to identify good observing objects in a new location like this?

"Turn Left at Orion" separates the sky into northern and southern hemispheres, but AZ+UT are quite a bit closer to the equator than the UK, so the book is less useful there.

I have Stellarium which will show me the skies, but just lists everything – it isn't very good at identifying objects I'm actually likely to see (I'll have a 6" reflector and a pair of binoculars). Is the paid version more useful at identifying "good/easy" objects?

Apologies if there's already a thread on this but I couldn't find one by searching.

Thanks!

Chris

Have you had look at Sky Safari [iOS and Android OS]?

It has a ‘Tonight’ feature so can can see what is available from your location.

Also, the iOS version includes augmented reality. It uses the iPhone or iPad camera and projects the app into/onto that. To activate it, click AR... simples!

Thanks both. I elected to bring an AZ5 rather than a Go-To mount and have to deal with battery packs etc.

Seems Sky Safari 7 costs £47?

I can't find the magnitude or sky condition settings in Stellarium. Is that a paid feature?

Cheers for your help,

C.

I'm using an older version of Stellarium because the newer one isn't as simple to use (I prefer the older one just showing everything in the sky at once), here's a screenshot of the setting adjustment:

Screenshot_20230503-1604272.thumb.png.e6278c5e83fc5a63b99f358a54ab6d42.png

Sky Safari is often on sale multiple times a year so if you can wait... As for which version, I went with Plus as it's got a huge catalogue and it's the minimum version needed to sync to telescope mount control, Pro has a humongous database which I don't think I'd ever need.

OK great. Thanks. Looks like I need to pay for advanced Stellarium. Will try that in the first instance and take a look at Sky Safari later.

I wonder if there's a good, easy to use website that lists (for eg) the brightest objects in descending order for a particular place+time?

18 hours ago, Basementboy said:

Seems Sky Safari 7 costs £47?

That would be for the 'Pro' version. The other versions are cheaper, and they do have half-price sales now and again.

Even the 'Basic' version includes the "Tonight at a Glance" facility mentioned by @RT65CB-SWL, which may meet your needs: "quickly find tonight's Moon & Sun info, calendar curations, events and the best positioned deep sky and solar system objects".

If you think you will use it to control the scope, I think it's worth paying the extra. There's a comparison of the features in each version here:

https://skysafariastronomy.com/skysafari-7-comparison-chart.html

Edited by Zermelo
changed reference to user whose account name has changed