Narrowband

Nautical Twilight Observing

Tonight was supposed to have been the last night of astronomical darkness at my latitude, but it's been completely clouded out and from here on out it's nautical twilight and even civil twilight till about August.

Does anyone have experience observing in nautical twilight?  Are there good targets I should be aiming for?  I'd imagine faint DSO wouldn't be great but the moon, planets (when they're back) seem like they'll still be good.  What about globs and double stars?  Any chance on them?

I generally concentrate on the moon and solar during the next few months. Something rather enjoyable observing during the daytime and without freezing to death :) 

Jim 

Often the planets look better when there is still plenty of light in the sky, as long as you can find them. Jupiter in particular can show stunning contrasts in it's surface features and colour tints that become harder to spot as the background sky darkens.

As for other targets, including DSO's etc, I just wait until later to observe them. When Cygnus is riding high, the Veil Nebula is just wonderful if you have decent UHC or O-III filter - probably my favourite DSO.

Planetary Nebulae seem to show well under most conditions as well. Globular clusters and double stars are great as well, as you mention.

Edit: I've just noticed your location - it's more challenging up there I'm sure.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

I generally forget about any of the fuzzies and concentrate on the moon, planetary nebulae, globulars and doubles. Once Saturn comes round again I usually gain a surge of renewed motivation. You will soon discover yourself when you start observing your chosen target whether it was a worthwhile endeavor.

There's plenty around the summer triangle, that's now rising in the east. Cygnus, Lyra, Saggitta, Vulpecula. Lots of clusters, globulars, planetary nebulae. My first scope arrived in May and there was plenty to observe as I started out.

Globulars: M13, M56, M92, M15

PLanetary Nebs:

M57 - the Ring Nebula (no filters necessary)

M27 - Dumbbell Nebula (good with UHC)

Open Clusters - Coathanger, loads in Cygnus

Doubles: there's Albireo and the always fantastic and challenging Double-Double (epsilon Lyrae), which can become a bit obsession-making trying to find the lowest magnification to get a clean split.

And as the summer comes along, with a dark Southern horizon, there are endless targets around the galactic core in Saggitarius. this is the time of year you learn to love binoculars!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pixies said:

There's plenty around the summer triangle, that's now rising in the east. Cygnus, Lyra, Saggitta, Vulpecula. Lots of clusters, globulars, planetary nebulae. My first scope arrived in May and there was plenty to observe as I started out.

Globulars: M13, M56, M92, M15

PLanetary Nebs:

M57 - the Ring Nebula (no filters necessary)

M27 - Dumbbell Nebula (good with UHC)

Open Clusters - Coathanger, loads in Cygnus

Doubles: there's Albireo and the always fantastic and challenging Double-Double (epsilon Lyrae), which can become a bit obsession-making trying to find the lowest magnification to get a clean split.

And as the summer comes along, with a dark Southern horizon, there are endless targets around the galactic core in Saggitarius. this is the time of year you learn to love binoculars!

Magic.

I'm a big fan of trying things out.  Early indications were good a couple of weeks back as I got up very early and ended up observing in the predawn twilight.  Thanks for the feedback.  From hazy memory comparing to my first observing session in August the views the other week were good and comparable to the 5".

1 minute ago, Ratlet said:

Magic.

I'm a big fan of trying things out.  Early indications were good a couple of weeks back as I got up very early and ended up observing in the predawn twilight.  Thanks for the feedback.  From hazy memory comparing to my first observing session in August the views the other week were good and comparable to the 5".

Have you had a chance to observe M13 in the new 10" scope? The difference compared to the 5" will be shocking

12 minutes ago, Pixies said:

Have you had a chance to observe M13 in the new 10" scope? The difference compared to the 5" will be shocking

I got a good look at it and M92 through the 10".  Worth it getting the dob for globular alone.  That was in proper dark too.  It was astounding.  

• Like 1