Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cleaning / blowing out

So after having a night of clear skies, the night after was showing as going to be clear as well (from a couple of weeks ago), so i covered everything over with the 365 and went for the same target that night, unfortunately, the images from the 2nd night ended up with large circular blobs/dust bunnies on them.  Do you blow off each time before you start the next session, or do you use a cover just over the train/camera to try and stop dust?

Thanks as usual for any info or best practices.

Generally, if I have changed nothing in the imaging train, I would not take additional flats for consecutive nights. However, my set up is in an observatory so it does not get moved about much. If anything changes other than fine tuning the focus, I would repeat my flats. I would prefer to spend 10 minutes doing this than not having decent calibrations frames.

You really want to stop dust entering your imaging train, cleaning can add dust.. I generally keep my camera, filter wheel etc attached to the scope to avoid this... If you disconnect then you will have to shoot flats every imaging session as you won't ever re attach with your dust bunnies in the same position...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sinbad40 said:

I may not have worded that correctly, Do people clean the filters/camera etc at the start of each session.  But thank you for the info on flats etc.

Absolutely not, in my case. Dust should net get into an electric filterwheel and, if it has in your case, I think you need to find out how it did so. My flats last for months.

Olly

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

My flats last for months

You have just made me think (rare). I always used to retake flats when re-framing images. However, I now rotate the whole imaging train in most cases so I don't need too. Do'h. 🤪

• Haha 1

I image both in an observatory at home and also at astro camps.  

At camp l leave everything set up and simply put the lens cap back on and a cover over everything while l am there.    I rarely clean my optics, flats do a perfectly good job.    So as long as you don’t move your camera or focus, flats can be reused.  

Additionally I also have a camera fitted in the back of my Samyang lens for wide field imaging with filterwheel all permanently fitted together in mounting rings.  I never open up the set up and am still using flats from 18 months ago. 

Carole

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

I leave everything together, and is covered over, but think i may get dust going in from the filter holder, as it is only the magnetic slide type.  May need to make/put a separate little cover over the train, and only take it off to change filters. :(