SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observer's Sky Atlas 4th Edition Unboxing Video

A first look that I hope this helps people get an idea of the size and content of this updated book.    

Unboxing Video of the Observer's Sky Atlas 4th Edition

My observing buddy Tim kept an old paperback copy of of the Observer's Sky Atlas jammed in the top of his eyepiece case. I thought this was an unecesarily addition to an alrady clunky case but when we'd get out on a work night unexpectedly when there was little time to plan a session he'd pull this book out and flip through it picking interesting targets. I was resistant since the targets aren't ones I'd necessarily pick, but now that I've purchased my own copy I get the sense that this is the point. We are bing taken on a bit of a guided tour.

It contains the Messier and the Caldwell targets but then there is a list of 100 other targets the author curated plus many other NGC's for a total of 500 objects, though I've not counted them myself, but all observered by the author through his binoculars and 6-inch telescope. It is a bit idiosyncratic in the layout as it feels like one has obtained a copy of another observer's planning book for what they wish to see in the night sky. Charts are a bit haphazzad with full constellations then large non-geometrical contoured zoomed in sections for telscopes and binoculars as if someone just drew an area around a target then plopped in that bit from a larger star atlas. Yet this seems to work and I look forward to trying it in the field.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have a small paperback 2nd edition of this which I bought second hand a few years back. Interesting lay out of the book for the maps which do make it quirky for sure, but to be honest can’t say I’ve actually used it much. Wasn’t aware it was still in print, nor available as a hardback book either. Larger pages in the hardback book look as though they show the maps better, and with some colour too. Astro pictures of the objects are nice, but wonder as this is aimed at viewing with binoculars or small telescopes etc whether these might cause disappointment when viewed visually.

• Like 1

One of my favorite observing guides. I've got an older PB edition and it's had plenty of use, I like the way it's laid out with target info on the left page and general/finder maps on the right. Plenty of ideas for observing lists and everything you'll need in a handy pocket book. If the new edition had also been in a small format and laminate, spiral bound I would've bought it but don't see the point of photos as it's intended to be used at the eyepiece. The target lists are given various symbol keys so there's actually a lot of info in a very small space, neat. The author is obviously a practical visual observer.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Drkneb said:

A first look that I hope this helps people get an idea of the size and content of this updated book.    

Unboxing Video of the Observer's Sky Atlas 4th Edition

My observing buddy Tim kept an old paperback copy of of the Observer's Sky Atlas jammed in the top of his eyepiece case. I thought this was an unecesarily addition to an alrady clunky case but when we'd get out on a work night unexpectedly when there was little time to plan a session he'd pull this book out and flip through it picking interesting targets. I was resistant since the targets aren't ones I'd necessarily pick, but now that I've purchased my own copy I get the sense that this is the point. We are bing taken on a bit of a guided tour.

It contains the Messier and the Caldwell targets but then there is a list of 100 other targets the author curated plus many other NGC's for a total of 500 objects, though I've not counted them myself, but all observered by the author through his binoculars and 6-inch telescope. It is a bit idiosyncratic in the layout as it feels like one has obtained a copy of another observer's planning book for what they wish to see in the night sky. Charts are a bit haphazzad with full constellations then large non-geometrical contoured zoomed in sections for telscopes and binoculars as if someone just drew an area around a target then plopped in that bit from a larger star atlas. Yet this seems to work and I look forward to trying it in the field.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I wasn’t aware of this guide but it looks like a really nice one. Love the show btw, i’m a regular listener  🙂

Hi Gus, regarding the images, they aren't Hubble images but ones take with more most equipment and might assist in detecting some detail. However, their print quality is lower than I would want it, so I'll see how useful they are in the field. I agree the charts are quirky but I like their layout so far, it's like observing with charts from someone's planning book.

Can anyone tell me if the 100 additional Deep Sky Objects are listed by #_ as in this 4th edition? I find that confusing. Like the California Nebula is something like #24 or something...there is an index but this seems overly complicated.

Hi Franklin, yes I agree the layout, while unique, is nice and there is lots of info. from an experienced observer. Too bad they didn't spiral bound it and give those objects their NGC/IC designations. 

Thanks Rob, glad you enjoyed the show, I recognize your Spidey icon :)

Chris

• Like 1