Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Books and Reference Material

There's a Resources tab at the top of the screen, with links to online tools and other useful websites.

Books do get mentioned in individual forum posts, but I'm not aware of any place where reviews are consolidated.

Is there an example on another website that you can linnk to?

11 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

There's a Resources tab at the top of the screen, with links to online tools and other useful websites.

Books do get mentioned in individual forum posts, but I'm not aware of any place where reviews are consolidated.

On CN they have a forum / section for books, ........ and is titled as such. Its down near the bottom of all their forums. Not hard to find. I wanted to point out, on here, the new 5th addition of NightWatch that can be preordered for a Sept. availability, but where.

https://www.cloudynights.com/forum/97-astro-art-books-websites-other-media/

Edited by LDW1

13 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

See the link above.

Edited by LDW1

3 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

On CN they have a forum / section for books, ........ and is titled as such. Its down near the bottom of all their forums. Not hard to find. I wanted to point out, on here, the new 5th addition of NightWatch that can be preordered for a Sept. availability, but where.

No, I'm not sure.  I think people would either start a thread in a specific forum section, if the book had a particular topic, or otherwise in the Lounge. Books also get mentions (and sometimes subsequent discussion) in "What did the postman bring?"

The existing Resources section is quite static, and I don't think members can add to it, except via a request.

If a new location were created, it could cover simple announcements like yours, and also member reviews of books (there is already a place for member reviews of equipment).

You could put a suggestion here.

• 9 months later...

Having a dedicated section for books and astro reference material on this forum would be super helpful. It's a fantastic way to share recommendations, discuss favorite reads, and help each other find valuable resources.
And speaking of books, I recently rediscovered the Harry Potter series and decided to dive back into the magical world. It's amazing how those books can transport you to another realm.
So, I'm with you on this one. Let's hope the forum considers adding a space for astro enthusiasts to share their literary interests and insights.

Edited by sisaymen

As old astronomers pass and enter the starry realms for the final time the interest in books will decline. A most unfortunate thing but the younger generations of astronomers can now get all the info they need at the touch of a button or the swipe of screen, sad but true.

• Like 1