Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Is Intermittent "Rattling Sound" of Declination Gears "Normal" for a 1 yr old SW HEQ5 Pro Mount?

wesdon1

Hi all. I need some advice from more experienced members if possible please?

Basically, I can't remember if this sound has always been there from new, but recently, when slewing my mount, I notice a regular but intermittent "rattling" sound coming from what I assume are the gears in my mount? It sounds like the gears are somehow slightly loose or something somewhere isn't meshing perfectly as the drive/mechanism is rotating? Now, just for context, my guiding seems ok, my GoTo seems ok, and 3 star alignment is bog standard typical of what you read about other folks experiences with SW HEQ5 Pro mounts, and is as follows...

"1st star, quite a ways out.

2nd star, almost spot on centre.

3rd star, practically perfect dead centre"

It's just I'm concerned that if the rattling sounds are a sign of a problem, I want to address it now rather than later when it could develop into a catastrophic failure? 

If anyone does believe it's something they know of, would you be so kind as to suggest/advise what I should do to address the issue please? 

I have done multiple online searches to find help, but there's nothing coming up in searches that even partially matched my specific issues?

Many many thanks in advance for any and all help!

Wes.

Edited by wesdon1
grammar mistakes

Hi there

Have a look at this link.

Adjusting Worm Gear Engagement - Motor Gears - Astro-Baby

It is probably well beyond what you want to do, but I think there are instructions on how to make some adjustments to the gear meshing.

It maybe that there is a bit of play in the engagement. I'm not sure on your mount but the way the worm gear is positioned against the gear is by a "push pull arrangement of screws. Two pull the gear onto the worm and one pushes away. By setting these screws, the best mesh can be achieved. It will describe all of this in the link. In addition there is a threaded ring that restricts the movement of the worm along it's axis. There is a cap covering this. 

It's a fairly easy process, but having done it, you need to run the drive all the way round to ensure there is no binding at any point. Astro-baby explains it really well and there are lots of picture. The same thing applies to the other axis. 

I'm no mechanic but I found it quite straight forward, but it did take a few iterations of adjustment - run -adjustment -run.

It will also give you a better understanding of how your mount works.

cheers

gaj

6 hours ago, wesdon1 said:

It's just I'm concerned that if the rattling sounds are a sign of a problem, I want to address it now rather than later when it could develop into a catastrophic failure? 

Don't worry. I imaged a whole winter with that noise on my HEQ5, don't think anything has gone west, but you should take a peek inside. Have learned to tune it, did that before this season (sept 2022) and now it's smooth as silk. Almost no sounds, been so the whole winter. Lots of guides on youtube. I started with adjusting the worm gear, but the rattle didn't dissapear untill I tightened the motors and corresponding gears. Don't be to afraid of binding, just be careful with the first test-runs. I've tightened it all so that there is no salck, whatsoever. It has stayed that way, stable and consistent.