SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

When you have 'too many Telescopes' ....

Alan White

OK, I have two 8" SCTs, one 80 mm F/6 APO triplet, a 6" F/5 Schmidt-Newton, and a 60 mm Coronado SolarMax-II, also making 5 scopes, with quite a gaggle of mounts (5 EQ mounts), guide scopes, finder scopes (guide scope and finders don't count, I would say).  The only reason the missus doesn't complain is probably that these things live in the garage, not the living room. The two SCTs seems a bit odd, but then the one is for solar work (A Baader-Celestron Tri-Band SCT), the other for all other targets. My Coronado 60mm, together with one tripod and my mini-giro mount, is permanently stationed at my work, so I can have the odd solar H-alpha session over lunch.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Stu said:

If it all goes pear shaped, then go to her wardrobe and count the shoes and handbags 🤣

You also have to add women's magazines and cooking magazines and the picture is complete!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Gonariu said:

You also have to add women's magazines and cooking magazines and the picture is complete!

Oh yes, our house is full of cook books too! Rarely or never opened! 🤪

49 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

guide scope and finders don't count, I would say

... perhaps not to you or me, but to anyone who's saying there are "too many scopes", I imagine anything larger than a BCO 6mm might be fair game.

(in the interests of full disclosure, I don't have this problem with Mrs. Z)

1 hour ago, maw lod qan said:

This could fit in with the old joke amongst the country men over here.

The wife said if I don't stop buying fishing equipment and guns she's going to leave me.

I sure will miss her cooking.

This is so very true 

48 minutes ago, Franklin said:

After selling the SD103 to @Alan White I was left with three scopes but still felt a little guilty after buying the SD115 so put the FL55SS up for sale, only to be told that I must NOT sell the tiny Fluorite, as it's just so cute.

I have to admit that I was tempted by one of the limited edition small pink refractors that FLO had a short while ago, simply because it was pink, but I resisted. It's a girl thing: you probably wouldn't understand. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

47 minutes ago, Mike Q said:
2 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

This could fit in with the old joke amongst the country men over here.

The wife said if I don't stop buying fishing equipment and guns she's going to leave me.

I sure will miss her cooking.

This is so very true 

Is it? The 1950s called, it wants its joke back

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

It's a girl thing: you probably wouldn't understand. ;)

Living in a house of females, yes I do understand 🙄🤣. The dog, rabbits, even the goldfish is (nominally at least) female! 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

I have to admit that I was tempted by one of the limited edition small pink refractors that FLO had a short while ago, simply because it was pink, but I resisted. It's a girl thing: you probably wouldn't understand. ;)

As already said, boy do I understand, I also am the only Male in a Female household.

Resisting is something I do a lot, but over time I buy and forget to sell things.

But the real error I made was allowing the critical mass to build in one room…. You live and learn.

Mrs W always knew how many and how much I was spending, it’s always in the open and we share all bank accounts and material things. The real issue is an account of true number had not been taken, well until last night that is.

The thread was not intended to be a partner bashing exercise, far from it, more to see what others said, Mrs W always has fully supported my Astro interest as I do her Photographic one.

8 minutes ago, Alan White said:

As already said, boy do I understand, I also am the only Male in a Female household.

Resisting is something I do a lot, but over time I buy and forget to sell things.

But the real error I made was allowing the critical mass to build in one room…. You live and learn.

Mrs W always knew how many and how much I was spending, it’s always in the open and we share all bank accounts and material things. The real issue is an account of true number had not been taken, well until last night that is.

The thread was not intended to be a partner bashing exercise, far from it, more to see what others said, Mrs W always has fully supported my Astro interest as I do her Photographic one.

Mrs Stu is many things, daft is not one of them 🤣 so I’m sure she knows precisely what I’ve got! We just choose not to discuss it in detail! I’ve appeared with a 150mm f9 Vixen Atlux, and a number of 10” and 12” dobs, plus a 14” and 16” truss dob at various times. They are kind of hard to hide! 🤣

My view, and explanation has always been that I believe I spend a similar amount to her overall on my hobbies/leisure activities; the benefit of mine are that they are tangible assets which can easily be sold should the financial wheels fall off, which indeed that have done on one or two occasions in the past.

Without wishing to stir up anything else, there is one scope I would not let go, but that’s for another thread 😉

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Basementboy said:

Is it? The 1950s called, it wants its joke back

We still say it today and we mean it.  Especially those of us who live out in the boonies. 

You mean that the main value of your wife is her cooking?

This thread is obviously well-meaning, and largely self-deprecating about telescope addiction - I have the same disease too - but I can imagine a few budding women astronomers feeling a bit uncomfortable at that particular remark. I don't know you sir and it's easy to misinterpret a comment online, so apologies if I'm getting it wrong. But maybe worth us all remembering this is a public forum and there are women here too.

Besides, I'm starting to feel embarrassed at owning more shoes than both my sisters combined 😆

• Like 4

I am in no danger of reaching critical scope mass anytime…. Well forever. 
However. When I purchased my second newt on a tripod and had them both side by side in the second lounge, my wife frowned and said “how do you look through both at the same time”?

At that moment I knew my future would never hold a large telescope collection😂

Marvin

• Haha 5

Astronomy can be compared (favourably!) with some other hobbies. For a
(select) few who are into Music... The price of Guitars... *Modular* Synths?
A snip at £5k? How does one become a "real" Musician... Astronomer... 😛

synths.jpg.8f1bb3c364d6644dc0b20ec2f78235ad.jpg

I understand GOLF will set you back a fair bit. Waiting list join a Club... 😅

Indeed. My astro kit is only about a tenth the value of my hifi and music collection... :ohmy:

I'm not familiar with this 'too many' concept though. It's not possible to have too many scopes, or eyepieces. You need one for every occasion!

• Like 2

A top tip for those buying big scopes is to try amd make sure the first time your other half sees the scope it is outdoors, they look a lot smaller that way.

Although this thread is about does your partner know how much stuff you've got, I wonder how many of us even know how much stuff we've really got!?

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Paz said:

A top tip for those buying big scopes is to try amd make sure the first time your other half sees the scope it is outdoors, they look a lot smaller that way.

Although this thread is about does your partner know how much stuff you've got, I wonder how many of us even know how much stuff we've really got!?

Honestly, I don’t actually know off the top of my head how many it is! 😬 Don’t need them all, but couldn’t bring myself to sell most of them as they are actually relatively hard to replace.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

Folks, believe me. You are truly innocent beginners in this problem.  If any of you gets beyond 10% of my problem I'll PM you!

:grin:lly

Mr Drew may give you a run for your money 😉

• Haha 1