Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Venus Using the Baader Semi APO/#82A/Meade Variable Polarizer

orion25

Following the advice of William A. Paolini in his article "Using Filters for Lunar/Planetary Observation" https://www.cloudynights.com/articl...-filters-for-lunarplanetary-observation-r3261
I stacked the Baader Semi APO, Meade variable polarizer, and a #82A blue filter (I don't have the #80A that was suggested) along with a 2X barlow lens in an attempt to extract some cloud detail from Venus using my ASI224mc attached to my Orion 127mm Mak. I actually got a hint of something! I may have gotten more if I had used the #80A which would have darkened the image quite a bit at only 28% transmission (compared to the 73% of the #82A):

ASTRONOMY-VENUS(APO-BLUEFILTER82A)4-25-23.jpg.db81fb029b90e3d5460452144332a268.jpg

Until I get enough pennies to buy the Baader U Venus or Astrodon filters, this will do me just fine 🙃

Cheers,

Reggie

• Like 7

Godo effort Reggie. I think it is a bit overexposed during capture (you can see the  white edge is washed out) and probably a bit oversharpened. I use the Astromania UV filter and it is working really well considering the cheap price.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Kon said:

Godo effort Reggie. I think it is a bit overexposed during capture (you can see the  white edge is washed out) and probably a bit oversharpened. I use the Astromania UV filter and it is working really well considering the cheap price.

Thanks, Kon. I really needed to have used the deep blue #80 filter for the test, and I could have adjusted the polarizer a bit more. I wanted to sharpen it enough to eke out as much detail as possible and probably overdid it. I didn't know Astromania had a UV pass filter; I have an Antlia UV filter on the way to play with!

11 hours ago, Hawksmoor said:

I reckon you got some cloud detail there Reggie! 

George

Thanks, George! Just a bit, lol. I wish I had had the #80 deep blue to cut down the glare. I have an Antlia UV filter on the way!

8 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Very nice 

Thanks, Pete. I hope to get better results with the Antlia UV filter I'm waiting on. I just received the Astromania 3-Planetary filter set with UV/CH4/IR filters. Have you used any of these filters?

9 hours ago, orion25 said:

Thanks, Pete. I hope to get better results with the Antlia UV filter I'm waiting on. I just received the Astromania 3-Planetary filter set with UV/CH4/IR filters. Have you used any of these filters?

No i haven't, but @Kon is getting some great results with the UV filter. Obviously this heavily dependent on good seeing conditions.

• Like 1