Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher Power Tank white wire ?

Does anyone know where the white wire attaches to?  I bought a new battery and when I opened it up I notice the white wire going to the circuit board and then it wraps several times around the screw support. The other end of the wire is not attached to anything. Cheers guys20230425_151130.thumb.JPG.97f1f7bdf8d5a769eec294fd826c1bbf.JPG20230425_145529.thumb.JPG.900e7fbd72559d2b10722b54eb3b91e0.JPG

That makes sense thank you.

It seems to be fully charged however none of the functions work. Any ideas as to why would be much appreciated. 

I've tested the 2amp fuse and the 15amp fuse is set to the in position.

It probably would not have solder on the bare end if it was for a radio aerial. There is a youtube video for a lower model that shows 2 white wires but the circuit boards differ from your model.  Perhaps a deeper google for someone who has opened the same model will give you a better idea.

11 hours ago, wulfrun said:

Can't promise I'm right but...would that be the antenna wire for the radio? In which case, the free end is meant to be free!

That was my guess too. Hence only attached at one end. :)

• Like 1

A radio antenna does seem likely.

Unless you want to start tracing part of the PCB, it is better to ask a simple question.

Does the box do everything it should?
If yes - use it.
If no, look further and keep asking the questions.

HTH, David.

1 hour ago, Carbon Brush said:

A radio antenna does seem likely.

Unless you want to start tracing part of the PCB, it is better to ask a simple question.

Does the box do everything it should?
If yes - use it.
If no, look further and keep asking the questions.

HTH, David.

I have no idea what is wrong with it.  I replaced the battery checked the fuses and still none of the functions work.The charging light works and the green light is showing as fully charged.so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Presumably the kit did not work at the outset, which is why you swapped out the battery?

What is the history? Owned from new? Bought used? Used to work? Left in a cupboard for a long time?

Did you perform any tests (voltmeter, lamp loading, etc) to establish a faulty battery before the swap out?

Do you have a multimeter to carry out basic checks on the internal wiring?

Sorry if this sounds like a grilling but the thread started asking about one wire. There is obviously more going on.

When my (usually overseas) customers ask for help , I always say....
The quality of advice we give is entirely dependent on the quality of the fault description and completeness of the information you provide.

HTH,

David.

It was bought from new David, I have a voltage meter however I don't have the knowledge to test it.It just stopped working after I charged my sat nav in the 12v port

Edited by gitboy31
Grammar

I found this on CloudyNights forum

The same unit but with Celestron badge. It has a longer white lead so it is probably for the aerial, though I don't know if that would the one you have or if it should be soldered to anything.

But in any case that would not be likely to stop it all working.  Are you sure the +/- leads are connected to the battery correctly?  I can't say for sure but the images in the link look like the red positive lead is on the right and yours looks like a black lead. Though the cabling may have changed since that CN post.

Suggestion. Remove the battery positive (red lead) for safety.
Follow the battery positive lead to the circuit board. It looks like the first port of call may be the circuit board.
You can see at the left there is a substantial area of copper marked '+.
Is this where the wire runs? If so, from there the battery +ve is distributed to various places via fuses.

Remove the PCB (two cross point screws) and look on the other side.
Several fuseholders? Maybe one has a blown fuse?

HTH, David.

If the bin hasn't been emptied, fish it out😁

A total failure has to be a broken connection or failed fuse in there somewhere.
I'm sure it is repairable in the right hands.

Anyone local to you into amateur radio or electronics as a hobby?
Or anyone at your local astro club knows a bit about electrics?