Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Has anyone used a Starfield 2" Herscehl wedge yet?

Alan White

With sincere appologies to all at @FLO, this is not a post to do ill to a product, promise.
I am curious on this product.

I am looking at 2" Solar wedges as I have dipped my toe into a 152mm refractor for in the main solar observing, a big step from the 80 and 100mm refractors in WL to date. I have a 1.25" Lunt wedge, its great but too small for a 150mm scope, it is a super item, but I am lead to believe others out perform this.

I am looking at what is available and fallen off my seat at the prices these things are, except the Starfield one.
It (Starfield) is so much much lower in cost it leaves me wondering, why?  
Please dont put the price up!!

Anyway, has anyone on here bought or used one and how did it perform?
Any feedback is appreciated.

• Like 1

Not tried one Alan but the Starfield looks like the Altair Astro 2" solar wedge. Identical in fact, apart from colour and badge, price is around the same to.

Unlike the Lunt, both the Starfield and the Altair have the viewing screen at the rear which I think would come in handy for finding the Sun, which is harder than it first appears.

Edited by Franklin
  • Like 1

They read differingly on inbuilt ND3 and not, which concerns me to be honest.
The Altair one ND3 is 1.25 and loose to fit to the EP or is it

The APM has inbuilt nd3

I think the Starfield might, does it?

Edited by Alan White

20 hours ago, Alan White said:

Please dont put the price up!!

Oh. Okay 😁

20 hours ago, Franklin said:

... the Starfield looks like the Altair Astro 2" solar wedge. Identical in fact, apart from colour and badge, price is around the same too.

19 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

It's the same wedge as the APM and Meade too. 

Yes. Probably. Assuming those mentioned are also V2 models 😇

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Alan White said:

@FLO does the Starfield have an inbuilt ND3 and Polariser?

In reading the pdf instructions for the wedge it is supplied with an inbuilt ND3 filter but no polarizer. Unless I am missing something.

On 25/04/2023 at 20:59, Alan White said:

@FLO does the Starfield have an inbuilt ND3 and Polariser?

Yes. Both are mentioned in our product description. It is the V2 model so has the most up-to-date specification. 

Starfield 2" Herschel Solar Wedge V2

21 hours ago, bosun21 said:

In reading the pdf instructions for the wedge it is supplied with an inbuilt ND3 filter but no polarizer. Unless I am missing something.

It has the ND3 and polariser (a colleague at our warehouse just opened one to check). 

I wonder why Starfield doesn't refer to the polarising filter in their instructions. I'll mention this when we next speak with them. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I have just pulled the trigger for a Starfield wedge

👍 You'll have to let us know how you get on with it. I've no need to change my 1.25" Lunt, but I'd be interested in hearing about the Starfield.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

👍 You'll have to let us know how you get on with it. I've no need to change my 1.25" Lunt, but I'd be interested in hearing about the Starfield.

I will do for sure. Coincidentally I have also ordered the Altair continuum filter.

I have just received my Starfield solar wedge today and it’s an impressive bit of kit alright, however there was no polarising filter included. I have emailed @FLO regarding this after the previous posts on this thread. The unit itself is very good quality as is it’s build. Looking forward to using it 🌞.

2 hours ago, bosun21 said:

I have just received my Starfield solar wedge today and it’s an impressive bit of kit alright, however there was no polarising filter included. I have emailed @FLO regarding this after the previous posts on this thread. The unit itself is very good quality as is it’s build. Looking forward to using it 🌞.

2 hours ago, bosun21 said:

I have been informed that the polarising filter is indeed inside the wedge along with the ND3 filter. This is rotated by the adjustment turret. I guess the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

Yes. It is integrated into the optical design.

If when observing, you rotate the eyepiece holder, you will see the view lighten/darken. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 3

On 28/04/2023 at 07:07, bosun21 said:

I have been informed that the polarising filter is indeed inside the wedge along with the ND3 filter. This is rotated by the adjustment turret. I guess the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

Usually if you read instructions, look at diagrams they will identify the filters and how they are adjusted while on the scope ! They work perfectly, as dim as you want / need.

Edited by LDW1

8 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

Usually if you read instructions, look at diagrams they will identify the filters and how they are adjusted while on the scope ! They work perfectly, as dim as you want / need.

They only show and state the ND3 filter is pre installed in both the literature and diagrams. Although it does mention a polarising filter. 

23 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

You do know you've now committed us to weeks of cloud 🤬

:biggrin:

I'm guilty of that having bought a Tak recently. However, it seems only to apply to night time as I've had some good solar sessions recently 😄.

Regarding the continuum filter, try it without, before committing to another purchase. Just saying 

27 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

They only show and state the ND3 filter is pre installed in both the literature and diagrams. Although it does mention a polarising filter. 

With my 3 wedges, 2 , 1.25" Lunts and a 2" Altair Astro as part of the instructions they show a diagram of all the workings and how the polarizer works. Just lucky I guess.

1 hour ago, LDW1 said:

With my 3 wedges, 2 , 1.25" Lunts and a 2" Altair Astro as part of the instructions they show a diagram of all the workings and how the polarizer works. Just lucky I guess.

Where does it show the polarising filter placement  in your Altair wedge? If it’s the V2 version then it’s the same as the Starfield.

Edited by bosun21

2 hours ago, Roy Challen said:

Regarding the continuum filter, try it without, before committing to another purchase. Just saying 

If you are referring to me I have already bought a continuum filter. I will try it with and without when I get blue skies.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Where does it show the polarising filter placement  in your Altair wedge? If it’s the V2 version then it’s the same as the Starfield.

I would have to dig the instruction page out, photo it and post it. Maybe I will but maybe I won't, I said it was there and it is. Google it I am sure it is there as well

17 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I just Goggled it, it shows the placement of the filter in one of the attached photos, go see ! Its the same info that I have.

2 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

I just Goggled it, it shows the placement of the filter in one of the attached photos, go see ! Its the same info that I have.

I’ve already looked on the Altair website and it shows the polarising filter being pre installed in the wedge and the the ND3 filter being external and screwed onto the eyepiece. The Altair wedge states that both are supplied with the wedge. The Starfield is the reverse to this with the filter order reversed.