SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron Starsense

Yes incorporating skysafari into it or a way of using skysafari with starsense. 

1 hour ago, Sunshine said:

By that you mean? incorporating skysafari to be used with starsense? 

Yes incorporating skysafari into it or a way of using skysafari with starsense

25 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

Worth mentioning too if its the starsense explorer which uses your phone vs the other more self-contained version.

Yes the starsense explorer app on the phone to be used with my 10" dob 

26 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

self-contained version.

Which one are you referring to? the dobs labelled "starsense explorer" use the phone module (the only dobs celestron makes) plus there are a few newtonian and refractor models which also use the phone modules.

2 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Which one are you referring to? the dobs labelled "starsense explorer" use the phone module (the only dobs celestron makes) plus there are a few newtonian and refractor models which also use the phone modules.

That's what I was figuring was being asked about but without "explorer" it could be the one that has its own camera module as can also be added to some SW mounts. I don't particularly know the celestron range but do have the LT70AZ explorer version which I adapted my own cradle before passing the scope on to my daughter/grandaughter to use.

Edited by DaveL59
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, wookie1965 said:

Yes incorporating skysafari into it or a way of using skysafari with starsense

I am not aware of any cross compatibility with the starsense module and other software other than the Starsense app itself, good question though.

• Like 1

The starsense app was developed by SkySafari for Celestron I think so we can only hope that one day they will be allowed to incorporate it as a plug-in into full blown SS- would be really awesome then with the huge catalog and ability to make observing lists etc. right now I run Skysafari on my phone for the lists and Starsense on an older phone for the finding. So 🤞

Edited by markse68
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Sunshine said:

They are the same modules in all the Starsense scopes. That’s the phone modules I’m talking about.

Edited by bosun21
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, markse68 said:

The starsense app was developed by SkySafari for Celestron I think so we can only hope that one day they will be allowed to incorporate it as a plug-in into full blown SS- would be really awesome then with the huge catalog and ability to make observing lists etc. right now I run Skysafari on my phone for the lists and Starsense on an older phone for the finding. So 🤞

That's exactly what I was going to suggest, running two phones with the two apps instead of waiting for them to be integrated together.

• 3 months later...
13 hours ago, SkySafari said:

Hello,

We wanted to confirm that SkySafari Plus and Pro on iOS now have StarSense Explorer functionality.  You will need your SSE unlock code to activate the feature in SkySafari.  The below link takes you through the process.

https://go2.skysafariastronomy.com/activate-starsense-explorer

Android is coming soon.

Enjoy!

Excellent news! Will look forward to setting up later.

6 hours ago, Louis D said:

Quick question.  As you upgrade your phone over time, can you migrate your Starsense unlock code from phone to phone to phone an unlimited number of times?

You can use the single code five times meaning five devices or changes.

Indeed good news, I thought it was only a matter of time.  I think Starsense can only go from strength to strength.

I too will have to wait for the Android version.  Still, I don't think I'll run out of objects to look out for before it does appear 😊.

On 25/07/2023 at 21:05, SkySafari said:

Hello,

We wanted to confirm that SkySafari Plus and Pro on iOS now have StarSense Explorer functionality.  You will need your SSE unlock code to activate the feature in SkySafari.  The below link takes you through the process.

https://go2.skysafariastronomy.com/activate-starsense-explorer

Android is coming soon.

Enjoy!

Brilliant really good news, can't wait for the Android version to appear. 😊.

3 hours ago, bosun21 said:

You can use the single code five times meaning five devices or changes.

I ask because I'm used to uninstalling a license from an older machine and reinstalling it on a newer machine as with Photoshop.  Apparently, that's not how Starsense works.

1 minute ago, Louis D said:

I ask because I'm used to uninstalling a license from an older machine and reinstalling it on a newer machine as with Photoshop.  Apparently, that's not how Starsense works.

That is a bit disappointing.  I'm kind of used to software on mobiles linking to the account rather than the device, or with desktops as you describe.

Still, going to pick up a Starsense at some point.

8 hours ago, Louis D said:

I'm glad you asked this Louis, I thought as you did, that if you removed it from a phone, then you could put it on a different phone and have the same number left.

Are you sure about this bosun21 ?  Does this information come from Celestron?

I find it hard to believe that if you have bought a Starsense scope and for some reasons have used the code five times,  Celestron would say you then couldn't use your scope on another device unless you bought another scope to obtain another code.

@paulastro just my thoughts on it and a guess but I would think like everything else Celestron makes app or tech wise there would be a firmware update to either obtain a new code or transfer the old code onto a new device after the limit if there is one. 

• Like 1

If you contact Celestron they can issue you with a new code as long as you provide proof of ownership of a Starsense Scope.  I don't know if they store the device details but they do have the scope type and email stored.  There is a link to find the codes associated with your email.

From the Skysafari website "Lost StarSense Explorer unlock codes can be retrieved here: https://www.skysafariastronomy.com/retrieve/ "

I have not checked the link so can't say what information is given back (presumably via email).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StevieDvd said:

If you contact Celestron they can issue you with a new code as long as you provide proof of ownership of a Starsense Scope.  I don't know if they store the device details but they do have the scope type and email stored.  There is a link to find the codes associated with your email.

From the Skysafari website "Lost StarSense Explorer unlock codes can be retrieved here: https://www.skysafariastronomy.com/retrieve/ "

I have not checked the link so can't say what information is given back (presumably via email).

I actually just did this and received my code back straight away via email. You just need the registered email address and scope type.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1