Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My Best Galaxy Image To Date

wesdon1

M101.bestever.staked.thumb.jpg.41e2bad9cffd110b80e913892c32adba.jpgHi all. I just wanted to share my latest, best image of a Galaxy. It's M51 whirlpool galaxy. I only managed around 45 minutes total integration after most of my subs were ruined by strong winds. I'm still very happy with the final result though, because i'm still learning.

*Target - M51 Whirlpool Galaxy

*Canon EOS T3i unmodded

*SW HEQ5 Pro Mount

*SW 200P newt. reflector

*Skytech CLS Filter

*ZWO 120MM Mini Guide Camera / PHD2

*119 x 65sec sub-exposures ( I didn't want to attempt longer subs due to awful wind ) ( Only 42 subs were usable due to wind )

Laptop - LENOVO IDEAPAD 1 ( rubbish Laptop, btw! Super slow! lol )

Edited by wesdon1
mistake
  • Like 12

you were fortunate it was clear (hardly any here) even if windy, perhaps when windy now you've seen your reject list % you could cut the individual exposure time further to see if that increases your keep rate, a kappa clipping algorithm can help round the stars a little, set your highest scoring frame as your reference.

Edited by happy-kat
  • Thanks 1

On 23/04/2023 at 13:36, happy-kat said:

you were fortunate it was clear (hardly any here) even if windy, perhaps when windy now you've seen your reject list % you could cut the individual exposure time further to see if that increases your keep rate, a kappa clipping algorithm can help round the stars a little, set your highest scoring frame as your reference.

@happy-kat Oh wow thanks so much for those tips/advice happy-kat! I never knew the "kappa sigma clipping" helped make stars more 'round? And the highest scoring reference frame, that sounds so so helpful and makes total sense! I wish I'd have thought of that myself months ago! And yes I think cutting the sub exposure times will help my keep rate in future windy conditons. It's horrible having to bin so much of your very hard earned subs!

Thanks again so much! I'd be lost without this forum! 

Wes ( Bortle 7 )

On 24/04/2023 at 14:03, wookie1965 said:

Wow I have still not seen this from home.

@wookie1965 Hi wookie, did you mean you haven't been able to view M51 from your home/location? and was the "wow" a reaction to my pic? If yes then thank you so much for such kind remarks my friend! It would have been a lot better if the wind hadn't ruined about 70% of my subs! lol. @happy-kat very kindly made some really helpful suggestions to tackle said issues with my subs so I'm going to try them all out at the first opportunity!

Clear Skies! 

Wes ( Bortle 7 )

51 minutes ago, wesdon1 said:

@wookie1965 Hi wookie, did you mean you haven't been able to view M51 from your home/location? and was the "wow" a reaction to my pic? If yes then thank you so much for such kind remarks my friend! It would have been a lot better if the wind hadn't ruined about 70% of my subs! lol. @happy-kat very kindly made some really helpful suggestions to tackle said issues with my subs so I'm going to try them all out at the first opportunity!

Clear Skies! 

Wes ( Bortle 7 )

Yes Wow for the picture and yes I have never seen M51 from home or the Leo trio I have even purchased a 10" dob, had a couple of clear nights here but the wind was horrendous blowing a hooley no point setting up as the scope would of been all over the place.

Paul

• Sad 1

On 26/04/2023 at 13:32, wookie1965 said:

Yes Wow for the picture and yes I have never seen M51 from home or the Leo trio I have even purchased a 10" dob, had a couple of clear nights here but the wind was horrendous blowing a hooley no point setting up as the scope would of been all over the place.

Paul

@wookie1965 Thanks so much for kind words Wookie! 

Aww that saddens me! Surely with a 10" dob you would atleast make out some of the cores of M51 and M101? Tbh though, I haven't ever seen them visually through an EP, I've only imaged them. Now that you've brought this to my attention, and we don't live far away from each other ( I assume? Merseyside? I'm in Merseyside. Wavertree Liverpool, more specifically ) I am going to take some low power EP's outside during my next imaging session and see if I can make out any details of said Galaxies mate. I'll get back to you and let you know how I get on. Bare in mind aswell, my largest 'scope is 8inch aperture, and I have hideous LED street lamps blazing down onto the gardens, so if I manage to resolve ANYTHING of either Galaxy, then you should definitely be able to too my friend!

Clear Skies!

Wes. ( Bortle 7 )

4 hours ago, wesdon1 said:

@wookie1965 Thanks so much for kind words Wookie! 

Aww that saddens me! Surely with a 10" dob you would atleast make out some of the cores of M51 and M101? Tbh though, I haven't ever seen them visually through an EP, I've only imaged them. Now that you've brought this to my attention, and we don't live far away from each other ( I assume? Merseyside? I'm in Merseyside. Wavertree Liverpool, more specifically ) I am going to take some low power EP's outside during my next imaging session and see if I can make out any details of said Galaxies mate. I'll get back to you and let you know how I get on. Bare in mind aswell, my largest 'scope is 8inch aperture, and I have hideous LED street lamps blazing down onto the gardens, so if I manage to resolve ANYTHING of either Galaxy, then you should definitely be able to too my friend!

Clear Skies!

Wes. ( Bortle 7 )

Cheers Wez,

I'm in St Helens just down from the "big head" if you know that. 

I have horrendous light pollution I am going the Brecon Beacons next weekend hoping get a clear night 

Best Wishes 

Paul 

Streetlight.jpg

• Sad 1

On 29/04/2023 at 15:12, wookie1965 said:

Cheers Wez,

I'm in St Helens just down from the "big head" if you know that. 

I have horrendous light pollution I am going the Brecon Beacons next weekend hoping get a clear night 

Best Wishes 

Paul 

Streetlight.jpg

@wookie1965 Hi again Wookie. Sorry for such late reply, I've been unwell with my throat and other health issues. 

I just read your reply and you mentioned travelling to Brecon Beacons the following weekend? My goodness the clouds/weather these last couple of weeks have been the worst I can  remember in around 7 years visual astro and the whole of my small 8 months of imaging astro!?? The clouds just will not sod off!?? Did you still go to the Beacons? Any joy with weather? I believe it's that damn Jet Stream pushing weather system after weather system into the UK, and there seems to be no end in sight, at time of writing!? 

Mate I have exact same blazing LED lights like the one in your pic. I have often seriously considered opening up their servicing box and sabotaging them! LOL. The broadband white light they emit is a nightmare to filter out without affecting imaging data. 

As soon as this weather allows, I'll do what I planned to and see how I fare viewing galaxies visually and let you know mate.

Clear Skies my friend!