SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Need some ideas for covering/protecting a pier and mount

Hi all,

I will soon have a permanent pier in the garden and I’m starting to think about how best to protect it and the mount. The scope will be stored inside the house when not in use, so I need a solution to cover and protect the pier and mount head. I know I can use a Telegizmo or Geoptik cover but that looks messy.

I’ll need something a bit more aesthetically pleasing than an upturned garbage bin as it is situated in the front yard and will be visible from the street (also the wife would not be pleased if I had an upturned bin in the front yard).

The height of the pier mount is 1100mm and is sitting on a concrete base that is 0.5m x 0.5 m and don’t have anymore room.

I’m thinking I might need to go down the custom build route but was looking for some inspiration from the group.

Rene

We do like a challenge, it's got to look good as it's on view but not look so good as to attract unwanted attention 😉  have a look through the diy observatory posts as there are a few sentry box self builds out there but first thoughts are a dovecot may work. All the best.