Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Suggestions for upgrade from Canon 700D please

lguise

I’m thinking of upgrading from my 700D and wondering whether it’s time to look at the mirrorless options.

Any thoughts and model suggestions with pros and cons welcome from users. I assume the mirrorless cameras can be astromodified if required.

I was thinking of a full frame sensor, low noise at high ISO when required. No amp glow on long exposures. Tilting/pivoting rear screen.

I don’t think I’m interested in shooting video, or at least I haven't used the 700D for this.

Many thanks,

Linton

Why not go for a dedicated OSC camera, I used canon dslr 1000d to start then moved to a Canon 6d both astro modded, finally I've bit the bullet and acquired a 2600mc pro, which is a fantastic camera.  Srry I'm presuming your hooking it up to a telescope.

Hi, I should have given more detail. Mostly I take wide field shots with camera lenses, but I have taken shots through a 4” refractor with the 700 D.

I am looking at a ZWO camera to take telescope imaging further, but I am also after a better DSLR or mirrorless.

Linton

You could use the astro cam with your canon lenses? Since I did this I don't really use the DSLR. Understand the convenience of the dslr however.

Edited by Elp

Canon mirrorless cameras are a good choice but avoid the Canon EOS R6 which has amp glow issues and cannot do long exposures with the electronic shutter.

I don't recommend Sony, Nikon and Fujifilm mirrorless cameras because of various artefacts caused by the in-camera raw-data processing which I've summarised here:

https://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/camera_summary.html

Mark

Edited by sharkmelley
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lguise said:

Thank you for your article, exactly the information I need. Is there a favourite from the Canon mirrorless range? Not the R6 it would seem. 

I don't know whether or not there is a favourite Canon mirrorless. Choice depends on your budget and what other features interest you.

Mark

8 hours ago, sharkmelley said:

Canon mirrorless cameras are a good choice but avoid the Canon EOS R6 which has amp glow issues and cannot do long exposures with the electronic shutter.

I don't recommend Sony, Nikon and Fujifilm mirrorless cameras because of various artefacts caused by the in-camera raw-data processing which I've summarised here:

https://www.markshelley.co.uk/Astronomy/camera_summary.html

Mark

In three years of both wide field and DSO imaging with Nikon D5600 and D610 I've yet to see any of the artifacts or issues you allude to in your webpage.

Now I'm worried 🤣

11 hours ago, 900SL said:

In three years of both wide field and DSO imaging with Nikon D5600 and D610 I've yet to see any of the artifacts or issues you allude to in your webpage.

That's great!  If you're not already seeing those artifacts then definitely don't go looking for them.