SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

2010 Isle of Wight Star Party Dates....

Hi All,

I've just been informed of the Isle of Wight Star Party dates for 2010. Please find the text from the email below:

Thursday 11th March - Monday 15th March 2010 (New moon = 15th)

As with previous years, camping and en-suite beach huts (our new name for the chalets/rooms we have used up until now) will still be available. However, new for 2010 will be the possibility of booking a self catering chalet with kitchen, living room and 1, 2 or 3 bedrooms. This will enable you to get together with other members of your club or with friends and enjoy the time together.

Don't worry - Sue will still be doing the late breakfasts!

As usual firm bookings will not be taken until mid January 2010, but if you would like to express an interest in attending please email info@iowstarparty.org, stating how many will be in your party and what sort of accommodation you require. This helps us in planning, and is in no way a commitment on your behalf to attend.

Any questions, please ask - more details will be posted on Isle of Wight Star Party when things are sorted out and we have an initial idea of numbers and demand.

Thanks,

Richie

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
Tis worth it James....

See you there!

Richie for me it's a long way to go but can you tell me a little more about it.

I imagine the skies are perfect on the IOW.

How many people go? is it a big star party?

I'm interested. Maybe I can share with steve again.

Richie for me it's a long way to go but can you tell me a little more about it.

I imagine the skies are perfect on the IOW.

How many people go? is it a big star party?

I'm interested. Maybe I can share with steve again.

Hi Doc,

the star party is held at a dark locale on the south west coast of the island and, if the weather sees fit to co-operate, you'll have a great time observing under mag 6.5 (maybe better) skies.

It's not a huge star party, being in its third year in 2010, but it's growing.

Hi Doc,

I think the best thing is the not having to stay in tents bit, having a warm room at the end of the night, a bed to collapse into, and a shower/toilet in the room :)

As Talyn says, its not a big party, but it has a good family atmosphere. Its well worth a visit.

Cheers,

Richie

• 6 months later...

Steve @ FLO are you going?

Latest news is that all the Chalets have gone and it's just the tent pitches left. But the breakfasts I can vouch for! It would be great to go. Just get in touch with Lucy and I'm sure she'll be able to sort you out.

Hope to see you soon.

Cheers,

Dave

(and yes... HantsAstro is still going. Very much so.)

• 4 weeks later...

There haven't been many (any?) reports on here on the IoW star party - how did it go? Please tell me there were loads

of clear nights so that I can give my wife a hard time for playing the Mothers Day card..... :)

James

There were loads of clear nights :-) Seriously we had a hour clear on Thursday hazy but steady so good to get telescopes aligned and get views of Mars an Saturn. About an hour clear Friday, Half the night on Saturday and all night Sunday. A good time had by all and SQM readings around 21.53

Owen

Thanks Richie, are these the beach huts or chalets? I bet the view out to sea was superb. I have visited the IOW a number of times and remember the old Military Road running along the southern coastline :)

Richie_IOW.jpg

Archived