Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Crescent nebula - under 2 hours

ONIKKINEN

43x 120s with a UV/IR filter + the usual stuff: 8'' newton, paracorr, Rising Cam IMX571 OSC.

crescentcopy2.thumb.jpg.97dc3a744a1c5761e52536f488ab6dac.jpg

Surprised how much red appears from the background with just a UV/IR filter and an OSC camera. Expected nothing but got an image that i quite like for such a short integration.

Last minute decision to switch from imaging Arp94 to this, because the former was low in the sky and producing really bad data with up to 5'' stars - basically just wanted to image anything else so that the trip was not a complete waste of time. This one was also low in the sky but to the opposite direction which was much better. I was imaging at a lake which was only partially thawed and i think the open water sections produce some kind of thermal current rising from them that ruins the image every time the scope points over one. That and dew on the secondary, which was a first. Unplugged the cooling fan on the primary and it went away in a while thankfully, but the Arp94 data probably wont see the light of day at least yet.

• Like 11