Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Video Guide to Choosing a Camera for EEVA

curtisca17

I am in the process of putting together a series of videos which I call "The 6 Essential Tools for EAA" (forgive me for not using EEVA in the title).  I posted here last month when I released the first video which discusses the key things to look for when choosing an optical tube assembly and a mount for EEVA.  I received a lot of positive feedback on that video.  If you have not already seen it you can find it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OVjamLK72g   I just finished the next video in this series which focuses on what to look for when choosing a camera.  Many beginners have lots of questions including whether to get a cooled or uncooled , a color or mono camera.  There are so many camera features which can be confusing to sort through including the importance of read noise, chip size and how to match the pixel size to the focal length of the OTA.  And what do we do if we have a focal reducer or a hyperstar.  I tried to address all of these issues and more in this video.  If you are a beginner I think this will really help.  And even if you are very experienced you might learn something new as well.  Please take a look at this latest video and let me know what you think.  You can find it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFueKEuELOc

Best Regards,

Curtis

• Like 4

Maybe I wasn't perfectly clear.  The discussion is solely about DSOs.  While many of us used the 224 for DSOs back in the day, there are much better choices today with bigger chips and at not that much more money.  I don't have any opinion about its use for planetary as I haven't tried it.  If you check the ZWO site you will see that they list it under planetary cameras.  I have used it as a guide camera with some success.