SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Should I buy an eyepiece kit or just what I need from it?

I just bought a 10 inch SCT, an upgrade from my 6 inch Newtonian and I am debating on whether I should buy an eyepiece kit complete with everything or just buy a Barlow, 5 or 6 mm eyepiece and some new filters? I already have 40mm, 25mm, 13mm, 10mm Plossl eyepieces and a Celestron 8-24mm Zoom eyepiece in my slowly growing collection and plan on investing in a good quality set of eyepieces later on down the road so I’m not sure what would be the best route. 

Edited by StarDuke82

The kit will almost certainly be no better than your existing plossl set.

You might find a 5 or 6mm rarely used with the long focal length SCT.

Are you looking to improve planetary views, or DSO? Do you want to go for a wider AFOV?

• Like 3

Definitely do not buy a kit. If you really want magnify more than you already do with your 10mm, just get a cheap barlow. But like AstroKeith said, you’ll rarely use that magnification.

What you probably want to do is start investing in higher quality, wider field of view versions of those focal lengths/magnifications that you already have (or similar). Baader Hyperions, Altair Ultraflat (or Stella Lyra Ultraflat) and Explore Scientific are very good mid range eyepieces and really good value for money.

• Like 2

Another vote for not buying a kit. If I were you I would buy a few good quality wide field eyepieces and a barlow. You have to remember that your scope has a focal length in the region of 2000mm making the use of a 4-5mm eyepiece a rare occurrence. The Explore Scientific and Nirvana eyepieces are good starting points.

• Like 1

The SCT is f10, and that makes it tolerant of eyepieces like Plossls.  Unless you want to have eyepieces that are widefield and/or sharp right to the edge, you could save a lot of money by sticking with the eyepieces you've got.  If money is burning a hole in your pocket, buy a small number of high quality eyepieces one at a time and see if they do it for you.

You don't need a Barlow with a f10, not even for imaging with today's small pixel cameras.

I have never bothered trying to expand my limited selection of eyepieces, but then I am mostly interested in imaging these days.

Never but a kit, dont do it, forget about it, dont waste your money.... did i say dont buy a kit yet?  Find people that have your scope and are looking at what you look at, then find out what eyepieces they are using. Maybe hit a star party and see it in person if that type if equipment is there.  

1 hour ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

You don't need a Barlow with a f10,

Agreed, but he was considering buying a 4-5mm eyepiece(s) and buying a barlow would allow him to use it with longer focal lengths he already owns.

On 15/04/2023 at 10:16, AstroKeith said:

The kit will almost certainly be no better than your existing plossl set.

You might find a 5 or 6mm rarely used with the long focal length SCT.

Are you looking to improve planetary views, or DSO? Do you want to go for a wider AFOV?

I’m wanting to improve Planetary views foremost as I live in a Bortle 5-6 zone in the middle of rural suburbia and it’s approximately a 2 hour drive to a Bortle 1 zone, so I do most of my observations from my backyard and only head to Dark Sky when I have time to make enjoy it by camping for a few days. I’ve been doing a lot of research on what to buy as a standard barlow and can’t decide between an XLT or just a standard inexpensive one like an Arpertura. I’m also looking at a Baader Zoom Eyepiece with included barlow to maybe start my upgraded collection. I have looked at so many different eyepieces this weekend my head is spinning trying to decide what options best. 

On 15/04/2023 at 14:22, dobbyisbest said:

Definitely do not buy a kit. If you really want magnify more than you already do with your 10mm, just get a cheap barlow. But like AstroKeith said, you’ll rarely use that magnification.

What you probably want to do is start investing in higher quality, wider field of view versions of those focal lengths/magnifications that you already have (or similar). Baader Hyperions, Altair Ultraflat (or Stella Lyra Ultraflat) and Explore Scientific are very good mid range eyepieces and really good value for money.

I am actually trying to decide between Badder Hyperions and Explore Scientific eyepieces as good mid range replacements for what I have and this has really narrowed down my selection of choices 

Thank you everyone for the advice I decided not to buy a kit a start upgrading my eyepiece collection and based on advice I have read here  I decided to start by upgrading to a Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom with an included Barlow, a Baader Hyperion 5 mm (for my highest magnification) a Baader Moon and Skyglow filter, and a Baader ND filter (0.9 if I remember correctly) and plan on replacing my remaining eyepieces one or two at a time as my budget allows with Baader Hyperions over the next couple of years but seeing as I will probably get the most use out of the Zoom and can increase magnification 2.5 X with the Barlow it’s not a priority. You guys are Awesome and knowledgeable and I thank you all again for the advice.

Edited by StarDuke82
  • Like 1

Although I have not replied, until now, I was going suggest that you look around for some TeleVue Radian's. I have two [6mm & 8mm / 58o AFOV]. TeleVue ceased production of Radian's several years ago. They occasionally come up for sale secondhand. They have since been superseded by the DeLite's which have 62AFOV.

Though I do not own the Baader 8-24mm zoom, it is damn good.

• Like 1