SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

AZ EQ6 Permanently Outdoors

Surreydocker

Hi, the novelty of lugging my AZEQ6 and tripod outdoors to set up every time is starting to wear off so I am in the process of installing a pier in the garden and I intend to leave the AZEQ6 permanently set up on it (but not a scope).

My question is, apart from protecting it from the rain, is it worth doing something to protect it from extremes of temperature, condensation etc. Will it need to be overhauled every year due to the effects of temperature humidity etc ?

Any tips gratefully received.

Ian

I had mine (AZ-EQ6 GT) pier mounted and left in situ for over 5 years - it's since moved on to new owners.

Did not need a service and looked as if it was a year old at most.  To protect it I used a barbeque cover as first layer and then a quality scope cover over that. Then used some ratchet straps to provide a good tight seal around the pier tube.

4 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

I had mine (AZ-EQ6 GT) pier mounted and left in situ for over 5 years - it's since moved on to new owners.

Did not need a service and looked as if it was a year old at most.  To protect it I used a barbeque cover as first layer and then a quality scope cover over that. Then used some ratchet straps to provide a good tight seal around the pier tube.

Thanks, much appreciated

My neq6 has been outside under a telegizmos 365 cover  for about 4 years, I just take the cover off every now and then to let it “breathe”, temperature shouldn’t be an issue mounts can take some big temperature changes, take people who live in the likes of Canada who lug their gear out from a heated house outside to -30, I’m glad my mount is outdoors permanently makes setting up a 5 min job 

• Thanks 1

On 15/04/2023 at 11:58, Surreydocker said:

Hi, the novelty of lugging my AZEQ6 and tripod outdoors to set up every time is starting to wear off so I am in the process of installing a pier in the garden and I intend to leave the AZEQ6 permanently set up on it (but not a scope).

My question is, apart from protecting it from the rain, is it worth doing something to protect it from extremes of temperature, condensation etc. Will it need to be overhauled every year due to the effects of temperature humidity etc ?

Any tips gratefully received.

Ian

I had a pier and mount outdoors for, oh, best part of two years ( I lost interest) with no signs of rust, corrosion etc.

It was under and telegizmos cover.

There is another rig I keep outside often which all the control technology, again under a telegizmos cover.

Not has any issues bar some spider webs - which one would expect if left a few days.

Edited by iapa
  • Thanks 1

It will get condensation on it so you will need to put some sort of heater under the cover with it. Some people use pet heating pads as an example. I use a small dew strap turned inside out (heated side facing out) and wrapped around the dec axis of my AZEQ6 and controlled by a smart dew heater. Keeps the mount and scope dry 24/7. As mentioned above, some screws etc will rust. The locking screws on the counterweights for example.