Of course, first light will have to wait on the weather.....😡

Edited by cajen2
Forgot photos!
  • Like 19

6 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Looks a nice set up, the tripod is the icing on the cake

Clearly the SW Alt Az is bigger than I gave

it credit for.

It's the GTiX -  looks like a normal GTi on steroids! I've also mounted the 6cm extension pillar. One day, I'll try it with a second scope on the other clamp....

Edited by cajen2
  • Like 1

For anyone who doesn't know, the normal GTi has a max payload of 5kg. The GTiX has a max of 6kg on one side and 10 in total. I've weighed the Starfield fully loaded with all accessories (even an EP) and it's 5.2kg, so I'm hoping it'll cope.

Edited by cajen2
Typo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cajen2 said:

For anyone who doesn't know, the normal GTi has a max payload of 5kg. The GTiX has a max of 6kg on one side and 10 in total. I've weighed the Starfield fully loaded with all accessories (even an EP) and it's 5.2kg, so I'm hoping it'll cope.

To reduce the weight further I'd be tempted to downsize the diagonal to 1.25" and use a red dot finder. That should shave off around 400g. It all counts when you only have 6kg to play with. Hopefully none of that will matter. I'm looking forward to your first light report. 😀

• Like 1

Thanks, mate, I'll see how it goes first. I really want 2" as two of my best EPs are that size. As to the finder, the 6x30 is pretty lightweight. I'll be taking your advice if all else fails! 👍

I also have a slightly left-field suggestion: I bought a small counterweight affixed to a dovetail clamp which would go quite nicely on the L-bracket supplied with the mount. This might serve to take some of the load off the heavy side.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

I also have a slightly left-field suggestion: I bought a small counterweight affixed to a dovetail clamp which would go quite nicely on the L-bracket supplied with the mount. This might serve to take some of the load off the heavy side.

I would definitely fit the counterweight if I was you. The mount will thank you for it. Your set up looks great and ready for action. Good luck.

And with its hat on in case of showers....

IMG_20230415_140917.thumb.jpg.1c47ce99e0f9ef66c101bcf8f8d992ec.jpg

It's sunny with patchy cloud right now. If this keeps up, I might even get a few views tonight.....although bitter experience tells me this won't happen.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cajen2 said:

Today in a more natural environment....except for that strange yellow light in the sky! 🙄

IMG_20230415_141011.thumb.jpg.9042225a722be9b12a705ad5c9aa594e.jpg

Looking good 👍, Personally I use a RDF and a 30mm wide field EP for target finding. It eliminates the need for a RACI. This is what I found anyway.

Well, have a guess. After a mostly sunny day, the cloud started building at sunset. After dark, all I could see was a fuzzy Venus but, desperate to get some practice in on the mount, I set up on it. By the time I had it in view, it had gone very dim. I just had time to align the mount and hit 'Point and track' when it disappeared completely. Sigh.

So I think everything works but not positive yet. 😡

Maybe a short Vixen dovetail and get your local engineering shop to drill and tap it to your chosen counterweight bar?

How's the pointing accuracy of the mount anyway?

Don't know if I'll need a CW bar. I'll see how it goes.on the L-bracket first. I've already worked out that the bracket will need to be at the same height as the centre of the scope, otherwise it'll get unbalanced in alt as it rotates.

The pointing accuracy is unknown as yet. Hopefully tonight will be clear enough.

On 21/04/2023 at 17:12, Basementboy said:

How are the vibrations on the 102 frac? Do you think it could go longer or does that seem like the mount's limit, in terms of length?

Sorry, still no clear skies to test it all out properly. I'll post a fuller report as soon as I get a clear night!

7 hours ago, cajen2 said:

Sorry, still no clear skies to test it all out properly. I'll post a fuller report as soon as I get a clear night!

Was really hoping you would get some clear skies.  

Edited by Mike Q