Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Venus and a few doubles

Stu

I popped the 60mm f10 out last night with the Vixen 3.4mm HR in it to have a look at Venus and a few doubles. I popped the phone on the eyepiece afterwards to take a few shots which came out ok. I was using my new phone mount (Allview) which I must say is a big improvement over anything I’ve used before. All metal construction and very rigid. The only negative is the fine adjustments take a little while to make gross adjustments but once aligned it holds position very well.

Doubles are Mizar, Castor and Algieba. The are cropped so not necessarily to the same scale I’m afraid. Venus was fairly low, need to catch it higher next time but at least shows the phase.

28522991-B84C-4052-A258-78107F838292.jpeg

A7A8EE72-8010-4A89-B889-838FB27406ED.jpeg

2540DB24-F60D-4D6B-89C0-C372A59E6C0E.jpeg

A121687C-F6A8-4D84-8421-859FE23BD22B.jpeg

• Like 7

Been living in fear of you posting about that phone holder and to make matters worse you also used it to take pictures of doubles and a planet!

Looks like I'll be entering prolonged negotiations with the financial controller.  Again.

Cracking pictures.  I wonder could you use the video mode with a phone with stacking software?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Been living in fear of you posting about that phone holder and to make matters worse you also used it to take pictures of doubles and a planet!

Looks like I'll be entering prolonged negotiations with the financial controller.  Again.

Cracking pictures.  I wonder could you use the video mode with a phone with stacking software?

Apologies 🤣. I do find it very good. Well designed and manufactured.

You can definitely stack video from phones, many people achieve really excellent results this way.

Would that be the Accuview phone mount?  Hope so cause I just ordered one lol.  The wife is out of the house.  It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Got to say, it was £58 and that seems like a bit of a bargain compared to the NeXYZ.

9 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Would that be the Accuview phone mount?  Hope so cause I just ordered one lol.  The wife is out of the house.  It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Got to say, it was £58 and that seems like a bit of a bargain compared to the NeXYZ.

Yes, think that’s it!

Looks like this…

00CE3FD6-1E55-4E34-B6F4-438BB0CE9E0D.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ratlet said:

Did you buy it from the US? The ones on Amazon are £90!

11 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Ordered it from their store:

https://www.moveshootmove.com/collections/move-shoot-move-rotator/products/msm-xyz-phone-mount-for-telescope

Free shipping and customs cleared for $69

Yes that’s the one I was looking at as well. I have a cheap one from Amazon that works okay, but it’s shaky and a real pain in the proverbial to align properly.

6 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Yes that’s the one I was looking at as well. I have a cheap one from Amazon that works okay, but it’s shaky and a real pain in the proverbial to align properly.

You can also have it delivered from their Spain warehouse.  Quicker but costs $6 more (I think).  I'm working for the next 2 weeks so expedited delivery isn't critical for me.

On 14/04/2023 at 13:17, bosun21 said:

They really are worth it I reckon. Much better than the Celestron NeXYZ as it has the same range of movement but is very rigid, plus the adjustments hold in place whereas the NeXYZ is very easy to knock out of alignment. It also holds the phone parallel to the eyepiece, not at a slight angle so focus should be consistent across the field.

• Like 1