Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

.....and a Jupiter....!

Kokatha man

Not content with limiting my achro shots to Saturn, after last night's very satisfying Titan shadow transit shots I imaged Jupiter for a little while this morning just before and after the sunrise.....I think I'm getting a short handle on this imaging, but with the clouds swarming in from the sea (500metres away) imaging was dodgy to say the least.....the hair dryer was in constant use for the objective - and my glasses, with the water in the air and heat from my forehead!!!:)

I've started using AstroCapture (free trial version) and am finding that as daylight advances gain and brightness (as well as other sliders) need substantial (even drastic) backing off to focus/bring out detail in the planets.....

Hopefully tonight I'll sit down for a little while in freetime and rework the Saturn image I posted last night and also this Jupiter.....I know it's my Achilles heel with this achro (colour-correction, ie!) but I'll keep at it until my 12" newt is fully operational.....hopefully in time for Opposition in mid-August where lurid colour shouldn't rear its ugliest side!!!;)

Anyway, despite deteriorating conditions this Jupiter reveals as much detail as I have pulled since spasmodically dipping my toes into planetary imaging.....auguring well (hopefully!:)) for the future with much more aperture and no CA.....

My ol' "Long Tom" achro 6" with 2X Tv barlow and extension tube (3.5X) and the 840k Toucam at 5fps.....not sure which Jovian moon off to the right but will consult my ephemeris.....6.45 am Central Australian Time.....:eek:

post-16205-133877366226_thumb.jpg

Thought it best to replace that shocking attempt at colour-correction of my achro image with another mono Joop that was taken that night.....at least with this it's not inflicting those horrific colours and/or pathetic processing thereof (but these flamin' achros do really challenge relative newbies like me....!;)

This image shows for me more detail than I've gotten before and shows that the 2X Tv barlow with 100mm extension tube (ie 3.5X) suits the 6" achro best imho for both Joop and Saturn, where I got the great detail (if terrible colour!:)) the evening before.

Seeing had definitely dropped way down (maybe 6 - 6.5 as compared to 8+ for the preceding evening's Saturn) and fog clouds and a risen Sun exacerbated matters.....all I can keep saying to myself is that with the 12" fully-operational for Jupiter's opposition in August, no CA and some more learning I am hopefull that I will then really be able to pull some good images.....:eek:

6" f8 achro and 3.5X barlow (inc ext.) Toucam 840k 150 seconds at 5 fps.....Ganymede off to the very far left of image and either Io or Callisto on the right of Joop and closer in (my ephemis's scale makes it too hard to determine which moon it is.....:)

post-16205-133877366661_thumb.jpg

Those two images were crying out to be combined....... amazing amount of detail to be seen,zones,bands,swirls, festoons and what's that at 7 o'clock on the disk? Have you discovered an enormous band crossing super storm!! :)

Heres my quick effort,needs refining............ Beach Ball anyone? :)

Those two images were crying out to be combined....... amazing amount of detail to be seen,zones,bands,swirls, festoons and what's that at 7 o'clock on the disk? Have you discovered an enormous band crossing super storm!! :eek:

Heres my quick effort,needs refining............ Beach Ball anyone? :blob1:

He he CW.....I'd provisionally go along with the first suggestion....as to your "band-jumping super-storm".....hmmmm..!?!:):eek:

I tried a bit of your tute re my bigger-scale Saturns on this Joop (I initially thought that the moon would be obliterated in the inversion but happily not so) and also worked individually in the RGB layers in CS3 and found flattening these back into the colour and playing with hue/sat and colour sliders got them much more acceptable (but still not gunna post 'em till they're suitable imho!!!B))

Here's the challenge for nimble-fingers on the CS3/4 or whatever keyboards/ivories.....take the last Saturn I've posted which really does have fantastic detail but billious colour and turn it into an acceptable colour-rendition without losing any of the details that display cloud structures et al.....and I will award you the most esteemed title I am able to bestow*.....;):icon_salut:

*Sir Hue Slidefinger, RGB. C-C with Bar:icon_colors::):icon_colors:

Archived