Narrowband

Guiding at last

robindurant

Rog has been on to me like others trying to encourage me to start guiding, and Rog has given me a short email course on it. Well Rog, you were right, it is easy. This image was an experiment of 3 x 3mins and 2 x 5 mins. No dark frames so it is very noisy but NO TRAILS

Many thanks ROG, you are a Gent.

Robin

post-12956-13387736622_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the club Robin,

Auto guiding isn't the black art that people used to think it was...well at least the basics of it anyway... I am sure you can make it as complicated as you like if you really want to... but a lot of the time there really is no need to...

Peter....

That's a great start Robin! I did my first guiding last night. Here's a list of all the bits I needed:

table, rug, chair, observing chair, 12V powertank, RCD protected mains extension, EQ6, EQ6 12V power cord, Newtonian OTA, finderscope, electric focuser, focuser 12V power cord, 3 eyepieces (32mm 12mm 3.2mm), 1 barlow 2.5x, webcam, UV/IR filter, laptop, mouse, laptop mains power cord, external USB hub, hub mains power cord, hub USB cable, bluetooth USB dongle, wifi USB dongle, EQMOD USB cable, Wii controller, red light torch. I never got round to adding the imaging camera (450D piggybacked) but I got the PHD software to say that it was guiding on Arcturus, it was 1:30 am by then!

I hope next good weather is not too far in the future or I'll have forgotten the setting up procedure.

By the way, I don't see your picture as noisy at all. It's really rather good.

Archived