Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Huge oxygen target next to Andromeda galaxy

See attached pic from YouTube vid. Have I been asleep for a while? as I did not see this at all.

Now it is a slick YT video with horrible narration in that really weird US everyone in a space video has to talk in a strange way thing going on.

Some not odd sounding info would be great. It slightly reminds me of Outters 4 with the amateur back story.

Long live Oxygen targets I say.

MarvinIMG_1548.thumb.png.2174eb735fded9fe2252d2ac9b65292b.png

I have issue with this. Image does not seem to match other sources in some respects.

This is the image showing phenomenon:

OIII_Andromeda-654x600.jpg

But compare Ha structures around Andromeda galaxy with this other reference image:

M31Clouds_Fryhover_960.jpg?itok=mHfK43l8

Look at Ha whirls blow supposed OIII feature. Right one matches reference image - but left is completely different.

So is Ha region around bright blue star right of the supposed OIII feature.

How about how the o3 was revealed? I believe it is incredibly dim and was revealed by a subtraction method. Not how one would expect to see it when processing images normally.

It's apparently there and it took lots of hours (something like 80-100 hours) via 4 people to reveal but no way of knowing it's distance at the moment. Its point of origin is also a mystery, I'm sure more time will be dedicated to this particular region. Watch Bray Fall's video on YT as he explains it more.

• Thanks 1

I have watched the imager/s that produced this image for some time on Astrobin.  It seems he spends much of his time making new discoveries and l think he is genuine in his work.  

Some of the nebulosity might look blurred in comparison to the other image shown because of the latest fad of blurring the background to remove noise.   Also the FOV is different between the two images  

Carole

Edited by carastro

1 hour ago, carastro said:

Some of the nebulosity might look blurred in comparison to the other image shown because of the latest fad of blurring the background to remove noise.

This is one of my concerns - use of "advanced" tools that rely on AI to produce final result.

I'd be much happier with simple black and white OIII image linearly stretched, noisy and all - that shows the feature than this over processed image.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Elp said:

How about how the o3 was revealed? I believe it is incredibly dim and was revealed by a subtraction method. Not how one would expect to see it when processing images normally.

Do you have any details on this? I haven't found the explanation of how this was taken.

I've just read that it was confirmed - but I haven't found that other image that confirms the feature.

10 minutes ago, Elp said:

Its in Bray Fall's YT video, if I can find it I'll link it.

https://youtu.be/H9sqPHiCypE

About 6.5 minutes in.

Yeah - I'm not very fond of that concept.

While sound - it can create some issues.

Continuum removal works if one has uniform spectrum in blue - and one certainly does not have it. Just take two stars and you will see that - while they can have same value captured with OIII filter - they can differ very much in amount of blue they produce (blue filter response).

How do you then decide how much blue from blue filter you want to remove? There must be some criteria by which you choose - most straight forward is to use a constant value to multiply blue filter value - and this constant method fails on simple things as stars.

You can easily remove too much of blue and effectively kill off signal. Similarly, you can remove too little blue. If you happen to have combination of the two - remove too much blue in one place and too little blue in other place - what you are left with is "feature in OIII".

I'd like to have confirmation from a third party source.

Possibly someone with Samyang F/2  and front mounted OIII filter in 2" variety doing one night imaging and we will bin the **** out of the data to see if we can tease out something?

@ollypenrice

You seem to be fond of Samyang F/2 imaging lately, fancy a go at this once M31 is positioned right?

• Like 2

Actually, scopes up to 1000mm with APS-C sized sensor can cover that feature - so 8" F/5 would be ideal instrument. At F/5, filter should still work properly and there is no need for "fast filters".

With proper binning, I think that we can bring those 100+ hours down to one night session.

11 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

@ollypenrice

You seem to be fond of Samyang F/2 imaging lately, fancy a go at this once M31 is positioned right?

I was thinking along these lines. We are limited, though, to one shot colour, at the moment. The problem with going after the ultra-ultra faint stuff with a mosaic is that the calibration of one panel to the next is likely to damage the data at this very low level of signal. That's why the Samyang would be a good bet.

Olly

30 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

I was thinking along these lines. We are limited, though, to one shot colour, at the moment. The problem with going after the ultra-ultra faint stuff with a mosaic is that the calibration of one panel to the next is likely to damage the data at this very low level of signal. That's why the Samyang would be a good bet.

Olly

I think that whole feature will fit in single panel on 1000mm with APS-C but it would not leave much surrounding for context. Bad for image making, good for "sciency" stuff. It would be best to dedicate whole sensor to object being imaged so we can try to detect it and confirm existence rather than produce nice image.

From the image - it looks like it is about 2 degrees in length. and 1000mm with APS-C is not going to cover it  :D , but 600mm will as it produces ~ 2.25 degrees in width. So 130PDS or maybe faster 150 F/4 newtonian?

I would even consider using 127 F/5 achromat for this if only capturing OIII (it would probably be scope on loan for project as not much people have it for imaging).

4 minutes ago, tomato said:

Well we know where it is located, the RASA8/QHY268 would cover it nicely, just need to wait for Autumn…

OIII filter at F/2 beam? Will it work?

Seems that Baader has optimized filters for this - but not cheap (and not overly expensive - I guess people with RASA scopes already thought of that and are using these fast filters?).

8 minutes ago, Elp said:

Use with the Samyang too. Wondering if I can use my slower one too at T2.8/F2.8...

For Samyang and similar - you don't have to use these expensive filters. You can use regular one - as long as you mount it at front of the lens and not before sensor.

This usually means 2" version - and it will reduce aperture to about 47mm thus making it 135/47 = F/~2.87 lens instead, but people usually stop the lens to F/2.8 even for NB to get good looking stars.

Front mounted lens filter operates in collimated beam and not converging one and angles are comparable to slow scopes (even for wide field - one captures only few degrees of axis - much less than 14 degrees off axis for F/2 beam)

Edited by vlaiv
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vlaiv said:

This usually means 2" version - and it will reduce aperture to about 47mm thus making it 135/47 = F/~2.87 lens instead, but people usually stop the lens to F/2.8 even for NB to get good looking stars.

We don't. We like wiiiiiiiide open!

:grin:lly

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SamAndrew said:

Saw this on Astrobin, cool discovery, looks to me like it's in our galaxy; what method would produce this much illuminated O3 in intergalactic space?

That’s the big question. The origins of this object are up for debate, being studied by minds far advanced than mine. I was just surprised that I had not come across this earlier. 
I spend at least thirty minutes every morning over corn flakes and coffee hitting the big Astro websites but found this by random chance on YT.

It will be interesting to see what comes of the scientific data that will hopefully shed some answers to this unusual area of space.

Marv