Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skyfog Observatory

Ags

I have toyed with building an observatory for some time, but we had plans to move so went no further with the idea. We’ve now decided to stay where we are and spend some money on home improvements. There is agreement on adding an observatory!

I noticed this ROR observatory kit today:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p13624_ECS-ProAm-2-5-Roll-off-Roof-Hut-for-Telescopes--2-5-x-2-5-x-1-8-m---automated-Version.html

The price seems reasonable (for observatories), it’s automated and the dimensions are good (2.5 x 2.5 m). We are having the garden remodeled. This is a DIY Obsy forum but very likely the garden company remodeling the garden will pour the concrete floor and erect the thing. Sadly there is no Off-the-shelf Obsy forum :D 

The DIY part would be strictly limited to interior fittings, like bolting down a pier and adding storage.

The Obsy is located in urban Bortle 8 skies, and would mainly be for solar system imaging. The benefit of an observatory would be to move the astronomy equipment out of our small apartment and allow the use of larger equipment. I’m thinking ultimately of a C11, and hoping an AZEQ5 would be sufficient.

• Like 3

Having compared ROR vs Dome observatories, I settled for a dome setup, 2.5m diameter.

It is more expensive, sourced from UK, as I added dome and shutter controls, however the Telescope Express with shipping + VAT + shipping + construction was about the same at the time. 

Used a local company to build the base; they added 0.1m to the dimensions, and another 100m to the depth at no cost. They also installed a conduit from house to base for power and networking.

We have used them before for prior work, so, pays to build a relationship locally. 

Wish you good fortune with your project.

• Like 1

@iapa what swayed you to the dome option? My thinking is  2.5 square is a lot more room than 2.5 round, and the ROR will intrude less over my neighbor’s fence. Also, I think I personally would feel a little claustrophobic in a dome and cut off from the sky, while a ROR is more open (open to stray light too of course).

• Like 1

I wonder how noisy the roof would be? I’m hoping for a gentle, soothing hum…

After further discussion, it appears funds may be released for the motorized obsy, but not immediately for the AZ EQ5 and big cat.  My astropad might be a bit comical for a bit, a cathedral of astronomy occupied by a plucky little AZ-GTi on a photo tripod 😄

Rome wasn’t built in a day…

Edited by Ags
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/04/2023 at 16:29, Ags said:

I’m thinking ultimately of a C11, and hoping an AZEQ5 would be sufficient.

I suspect the C11 might be a bit close to the weight limit of the AZ-EQ5. Looking at them on FLO the AZ-EQ5 handles up to 15kg, and the C11 weighs 12.5kg plus whatever is needed for imaging, guiding, etc. I'd be tempted to go with something stronger

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/optical-tube-assemblies/celestron-c11-xlt-optical-tube-assembly-cge-losmandy.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-az-eq5-gt-geq-alt-az-mount.html#

• Like 1

That obsy you link to Agnes looks very nice indeed and I can see the temptation of such a structure.
Being metal I expect it will make noise when opening and when rained upon etc.
Perhaps it would benefit additional insulation, or is it already insulated and ouble skinned?

As a visual observer, one of my joys is being out under the stars.
The slide rood observatory design allows this, but with kit in a stored ouitside space and ready to go.
A dome does not allow that in the sameway of being so open, but it does block light intrusion from all directions excepting the slot.

I have been in both types of observatory and for me the slide roof would work better.

I would also add that a pier fixes you to the spot, I know this as have now done it twice and regretted it twice.
Kit on tripods or dob mounted in a slide off roof would for me be the perfect solution.

Be interested in which way you choose to go and will watch with interest and if honest just a slight bit of observatory envy.

One day I too will have a slide off roof jobbie, but not in the present abode as we will downsize in the future.

Not sure what the roof is made from - some kind of imitation tile with foam insulation. I have a chat going with Teleskop-Service on this and will check this. Funding was agreed for the fully automated version, but I don’t think that's needed for my back garden. Maybe save 1500 by cutting automation and getting a big mount or a big dob... Looking at the OO UK site and drooling.

Good advice about the pier - locating it was proving stressful!

• Like 1

Some general thoughts: A dome provide protection from cold  breezes.
It can be rotated away from the wind if there is a suitable object in that direction. 
Claustrophobia is not likely in a soaring dome. Not even a small one.
Domes are limited to refractors and SCTs on a raised pier.
The high walls would block the view for a Dob or low mounted Newtonian.
Unless you rotate the walls as well and have the door open. A serious option for DIY.
This form would need serious restraint at ground mounted, roller level. To stop it blowing away.
A dome can protect you and the equipment in a second if a shower comes along.
A roll-off roof is draughty and cold. It provides no shelter unless partially closed.
invest in a down jacket if you don't have one. Get one if you have a dome too.
A metal building will feel much colder than wood or plastic.
You will radiate body heat to the cold metal surface.
A dome is obvious as to its purpose. It may attract unwanted attention.
It's colour becomes a major choice or a major problem.
A shed with a moving roof probably goes unnoticed.  
A metal building will cool quickly after a sunny day.
Both GRP and metal are prone to internal condensation.
A small square is HUGE compared to small round or octagonal.
For €5k you could build almost anything given a few manual skills.
A DIY, plywood ROR could be put together for about 1/5th of that price.
Leaving you funds for a better mounting.
I am heavily biased towards domes and build everything myself.
The dome, the supporting building, the mounting and the instruments.
The major disadvantage of this is the sheer time involved.
Designing, building and updating with gained experience.
The hobby becomes equipment building rather than astronomy alone.

If you live in an apartment where is this observatory to be placed?
Do you have some private ground outside? Is it secure?

• Like 1

A couple of other considerations.

If you plan to observe lots of targets scattered across the sky throughout the night, it can be annoying to have to constantly shift the dome. Typically I observe 100 variable stars a night. I start in the west and gradually move east. It’s a simple matter to make small adjustments to the dome position accordingly. 

For me, as a dome user who sits in the observatory for hours on end doing CCD imaging, I value the dome as it usually means I have a cover above my head (except for times when the slit is above me) which means I feel less cold as I lose less heat by radiation. It also provides more wind protection.

The height of my dome also means I can work inside it during the day whilst it is closed. Of course you could also do this with a roll off roof if the walls are high enough.

• Like 2

@Rusted thanks for the points, I have given them some consideration.

• cold winds - I dress warmly when observing and will continue to do so.
  • claustrophobia - for me at least it is about being enclosed more than the cubic meters of the space
  • scopes limited to SCTs and refractors - the only scopes I own :)
  • access to horizon - lots of light pollution in my area, so the sky low down is not worth much. But the view to the South low down is important for planets of course. I guess a tall tripod is my friend.
  • DIY is cheaper - if there were good open source plans fora ROR I would be happy to use those, still using a professional to put it together. I’ll do a bit of research.
  • Apartment questions - I have a ground floor apartment with a large (walled) garden by Dutch standards. I have upstairs neighbors. If I can’t control noise the project is a non-starter.

• Like 1

Had a wobbly session with my grab and go kit and it gave me a new idea for equipping the  observatory - a SkyTee. It would more than cope with a C6 and my 90mm refractor, and of course both would be permanently set up. 

• Like 1

I am coming round to the DIY approach now. It's a big box basically, and roof with wheels. How hard can it be? As far as I can see the hardest thing is getting the ground level. 

• Like 1

There are a few aspects I am not sure how to solve. Although I can build a big wood box, I am not sure how to guarantee the roof rail end posts will be square with the shed, and that everything will be truly parallel. It looks like there would be very little tolerance...

Maybe this book woukd help... has anyone seen it before?

https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-1-4939-3011-1

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ags said:

There are a few aspects I am not sure how to solve. Although I can build a big wood box, I am not sure how to guarantee the roof rail end posts will be square with the shed, and that everything will be truly parallel. It looks like there would be very little tolerance...

Maybe this book would help... has anyone seen it before?

Not seen the book I am afraid.
If you have one set of fixed wheels on one side...
you can have the wheels [on the other side of the roof] sliding along their axles.
It won't need much lateral movement. Just enough freedom to avoid binding.  
V-pulleys running on rails are popular. The rails can be angle iron for a firm fixing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ags said:

Maybe this book woukd help... has anyone seen it before?

Ags, I have the book, for a never built project in my case, relocation calls in the not so distant future.

• Like 1