SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New ZWO camera with built in guide chip?

900SL

2 hours ago, SamAndrew said:

Shame they've gone to the effort to make it focusable and not automate it with a small motor. Surely just make it flat with the main sensor? it would make sense if there were rectanglar filters that just covered the main sensor; maybe that's something further down the line.

Well, to ZWO's defence on this detail: you would only have to focus the guide-sensor once (after you focused the main sensor), after that it will be in focus as long as you have the main sensor in focus. But a focusing nob there should not be needed if they had bothered to make the sensors parafocal to start with. Maybe it could be needed for scopes with a large field curvature, but you would not like to have that for astrophoto anyhow.

23 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Actually not a bad price compared to the vanilla 2600MC (but expensive compared to non ZWO imx571...).

SC2210 is the chip used in the 220MM, so should be workable for fast scopes in narrowband too.

I guessed right on the chip combination! I wonder if I win a free camera as a prize?

5 minutes ago, 900SL said:

Where are the UK prices?

You can find them if you look at the usual outlets. The seestar is actually cheaper than the dwarflab one if you get it direct, even after taxes.

Edited by Elp

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Well, to ZWO's defence on this detail: you would only have to focus the guide-sensor once (after you focused the main sensor), after that it will be in focus as long as you have the main sensor in focus. But a focusing nob there should not be needed if they had bothered to make the sensors parafocal to start with. Maybe it could be needed for scopes with a large field curvature, but you would not like to have that for astrophoto anyhow.

Or fast RASA systems, where focus is critical. It may be cheaper to have a focus knob and relaxed production tolerances, than no focus knob but strict tolerances. As the lady sang: "it's all about the money..."

Its better to have the ability to adjust for an end user than working a product to a fixed tight tolerance, unless it has a critical and repeatability function (say making spare parts for an emergency safety system for example). All too often I've seen CAD designer tolerances on drawings and they have no idea how practical (or common sense) it is to manufacture.

Edited by Elp

4 hours ago, Elp said:

You can find them if you look at the usual outlets. The seestar is actually cheaper than the dwarflab one if you get it direct, even after taxes.

care to elaborate ? I have a friend who thought it would be a great present for the missus.

ah ok, I though you were eluding to the seestar being a rebadged something or other and available from aliexpress or something.

i see now a few places mentioning it. It looks like it stuffs the dwarf ii, specs wise anyway.. be interesting to see some reviews.

They also mention that the new ASIAIR has eMMC storage. Does anyone know if the latest ASIAIR is still based on Raspberry Pi? The Pi does not have native eMMC support. Also Pi's have been hard to get, with world wide shortage, which is only now starting to get better. According to the specs, the ASIAIR is based on the same processor as the RPi 4B, but it seems to have a different form factor

Edited by wimvb

7 hours ago, wimvb said:

Does anyone know if the latest ASIAIR is still based on Raspberry Pi? The Pi does not have native eMMC support.

The latest AA+ with 256GB uses a custom board. RPI Compute Module 4 does indeed support up to 32 GB of eMMC storage natively. Original AA+ is based on it, not on RPI 4B. ASIAIR PRO is based on RPI 4B.

Below you can see first three generations. Original ASIAIR based on RPI 3B at the top, ASIAIR PRO based on RPI 4B in the middle and ASIAIR plus 32GB based on RPI CM4 at the bottom.

image.png.e5859f4336e5faa2773ebaf95bf7336b.png

Edited by Dark Raven
  • Like 1

On 11/04/2023 at 23:31, Elp said:

A smaller one will actually be of interest. Ioptron are yet to release their hem15.

I have received the HEM15, only  2.6kg and a load capacity of 7kg.  very portable!!!

• Like 1

well, I took a punt and ordered one of the Seestar S50 jobbies.

For 320 quid direct, seemed a no brainer to give it a go. specs wise it seems miles ahead of the dwarf ii, and zwo has never created a product so far that is a dud - so that's good enough for me to give it a punt. Says delivery in July.

At that price, even if with the duty/vat it'll be no more than the 470 being charge by uk dealers, and maybe I get more toward front of queue.

I think it would be a great wee travel thing - holiday, or maybe save me carrying all my bigger portable stuff away in motorhome, while still giving me a bit of a play. And at the end of the day, I imagine could find I can sell it in July or August for same price as I bought it if I don't like it.

Dunno why FLO's not selling them?

re: pi chip - I've never understood the manufacturing issues there - I have no problems ever getting esp32s or arm32s, etc - but for some reason Pis have pretty much always been produced in silly little batches that sell out in days then you have to wait 6 months till the next set. makes no sense whatsoever. It's a mystery how ZWO seem to have a constant supply. if the chips.

• Like 2

On 14/04/2023 at 08:32, tonypysm said:

I have received the HEM15, only  2.6kg and a load capacity of 7kg.  very portable!!!

Interesting to know your thoughts on it. I see it's in stock now, buying direct however to Europe has excessive charges (transport for one), it's also pretty much the same price as the hem27 which makes zero sense. The smaller mount at least provides consumer options and it looks much smaller than the am3 or 5. The am3 is much better priced in the market though and differentiates from the am5.

Edit: I see ioptron have now "revised" their price on the hem15, now the am3 has been unveiled...

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

On 09/04/2023 at 19:10, DaveS said:

As I recall SBIG had / have something similar, so not a new idea.

Edit: After typing this I realised that it might sound like a put-down. It's not meant to be, I think it's a good idea.

They did.

I think it was a mono CCD so, use of filters possible degraded guiding?

The ASI2600MC-DUO is a colour sensor.

Edited by iapa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 09/04/2023 at 17:33, tomato said:

I remember the SBIG version, but it never really caught on. 

That made me chuckle.  Santa Barbara Instrument Group literally invented self-guiding cameras and patented the idea back in the late 1990's.

They were immensely popular - the ST-7 was the first in a long line of many self-guiding cameras.  This went on through to the STL-series with larger sensors and larger guide chips, and then on through to the late 2000's when narrowband filters became popular with the rise of light pollution and the reduction in manufacturing costs of the coating technology to make these interference based filters.  Eventually SBIG and later Diffraction Limited (the owners of SBIG since 2014) developed self-guiding filter wheels, so that the guide sensor was ahead of the filters, allowing for more guide star choices.