Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New ZWO camera with built in guide chip?

900SL

It appears to have a build in rotation device, I wonder if it might even be motorised??

The guide chip doesn't float my boat, but how cool would it be to be able to frame your target remotely without an expensive rotator in the imaging train.

14 hours ago, Elp said:

Maybe a proprietary system for their new scope? Some sort of variable EVscope type. Will be revealed soon.

Yes, going by their recent tweets. A smaller AM5? An EVS? And an ZWO APO?  I think I’m prepared to be underwhelmed. But we’ll see. It’s better the travel pessimistically - as the old saying doesn’t go.  :) 

I'm guessing it may be 8pm local time, or they'll actually wait until NEAF starts in a few days time.

A smaller AM5 will be of interest if the price is right. Ioptron have tried it but their price structure doesn't make sense. Their hem15 is up for preorder near enough the same as the hem27 which makes zero sense from a consumer perspective.

I'm all for zwo making the hobby more accessible with an automated scope of some sort, but unless it has genre defining specs it's uses will be fairly limited and not for those of us in it for the long term. The current solutions are limited in that theyre fixed aperture and focal length, at least if you build your own rig you can pick and choose depending on what you want to image, as well as your budget.

The camera, might be a 633MC but we'll see, and I'm guessing it won't be cheap.

59 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

Not a sensor for guiding but for automated exposure/gain/ black level settings

I thought that chip manufacturers used a few pixel lines on the main sensor for that.

Is that the price £1600 before taxes or something else?

4 apo refractors revealed, a rotator unit and seestar which was on their April fools image.

Edited by Elp

4 hours ago, SamAndrew said:

And there I was hoping there would be some rectangular filters. new 2600MC DUO

May be an image of 2 people

Where is that announced? I cannot find anything on their facebook page but then I hardly know how facebook works....

For those doubting guiding capabilities with filters i will mention that i am guiding with the new 220MM in an OAG in an 8'' f/5 newtonian through an Antlia Triband RGB ultra filter, which while not very narrow is still a narrowband-ish filter. No trouble finding stars to guide on and typically i am running on multiple stars if not the full 12. Guide star SNR is in the range of 40-1000 from what i can gather from my guide logs so room to go narrower or shorter in exposures (4s with mine).

7nm and the like filters are probably a pain but i reckon something like the L-enhance would still be tolerable in a fast-ish scope.

3 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

For those doubting guiding capabilities with filters i will mention that i am guiding with the new 220MM in an OAG in an 8'' f/5 newtonian through an Antlia Triband RGB ultra filter, which while not very narrow is still a narrowband-ish filter. No trouble finding stars to guide on and typically i am running on multiple stars if not the full 12. Guide star SNR is in the range of 40-1000 from what i can gather from my guide logs so room to go narrower or shorter in exposures (4s with mine).

7nm and the like filters are probably a pain but i reckon something like the L-enhance would still be tolerable in a fast-ish scope.

Of course, hoping that the camera does have the 220MM or some of the other new lower noise cameras. If its the 120MM then probably not so great (also why i changed the guide cam)

12 hours ago, gorann said:

Where is that announced? I cannot find anything on their facebook page but then I hardly know how facebook works....

There are multiple facebook groups it seems, think I found it on a camera specific one but seem to have disapeared.

12 hours ago, Dark Raven said:

Someone used online translator to figure out what the “knob” on top of the 2600MC Duo is. “Guide Star Sensor Focus Knob”.

Shame they've gone to the effort to make it focusable and not automate it with a small motor. Surely just make it flat with the main sensor? it would make sense if there were rectanglar filters that just covered the main sensor; maybe that's something further down the line.

Can we infer from this that there's no successor to the 2600-series on the horizon? That camera's actually getting on a bit now, but I guess chip shortages and the like are delaying new developments. If a new camera were coming soon, I'd expect ZWO to launch it with this guiding sensor, giving more reason for current 2600-users to upgrade.

38 minutes ago, Lee_P said:

Can we infer from this that there's no successor to the 2600-series on the horizon?

That may be down to Sony and not ZWO as the current sensor line-up is set below:
Security Camera Image Sensor [Product] | Image Sensor for Security Cameras | Image Sensor | Products & Solutions | Sony Semiconductor Solutions Group (sony-semicon.com)

image.thumb.png.ed7e9ce227b17176114ed6a7c1b9c300.png

42 minutes ago, Lee_P said:

but I guess chip shortages and the like are delaying new developments

Chip shortage is affecting automotive industry mainly and that is by their own choice for not wanting to keep up the pace with chip development. Old lithography systems were depreciated and chip manufacturers can´t satisfy demand on remaining machines. Example would be me insisting on buying Intel Pentium II because it is enough for my needs. Other way to read it is insisting on old depreciated tech to have bargain input prices and still charge the premium for final product.

I can understand the fiduciary duty to keep costs low but at some point you have to keep up with the world. Same reason why OEM car sat nav is having at least one year old maps. Not that I am a Tesla fanboy but interesting enough you did not hear Tesla having chip shortage.

• Like 1

Interesting take on it and makes a lot of sense.. Chip shortages for reversing cameras.. Yes because no one is now using rubbish sd cameras, etc. I thought the auto industry had finally realised they need to keep of with tech, but as u point out, they really haven't. Even the very latest cars, if think of the tech in terms of 'is it as good as I can see elsewhere' it's abysmal.

Considering how much new cars cost they should be using the best chips within reason. You wouldn't use a mobile phone or computer which has input or UI lag when interacting with them, so why do cars use such rubbish.