Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skytee 2 CGE saddle help?

shaztronomer

Hey guys, I have just bought a C8 edge hd with CGE dovetail fitted and a skytee 2 mount. I'm having problems finding which saddle is compatible with the skytee 2. I know ADM do a vixen saddle and I have seen other losmandy saddles but am unsure if they're compatible with the skytee, thanks in advance for any help 🤙

Hi @shaztronomer and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

What is the hole spacing? I have a 'spare' Bresser 'Vixen' type saddle [image below] that I purchased, thinking it would fit my AOK-AYO mount... wrong!

20110D0D-DC83-4284-AA74-021FB5E857E2.thumb.jpeg.90c9f0cecc224ff0a782d048db148c24.jpeg0F1282D0-82B4-4A6D-91A7-105097E86D1C.thumb.jpeg.6f6965c592f6d912af45e117c6c222b5.jpeg

I do wish saddle plate manufacturers made them with slotted holes to accommodate the different mounts. It would make life and our hobby so much easier.

• Like 1

Might be best to drop FLO an email as to which saddle will fit your Skytee2 mount for the CGE/Losmondy style saddle you need. They show which saddle works for Vixen saddles OK on a Skytee2, but not for CGE/Losmondy style you need for your C8 Edge.

Edited by Knighty2112
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Philip R said:

Hi @shaztronomer and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

What is the hole spacing? I have a 'spare' Bresser 'Vixen' type saddle [image below] that I purchased, thinking it would fit my AOK-AYO mount... wrong!

20110D0D-DC83-4284-AA74-021FB5E857E2.thumb.jpeg.90c9f0cecc224ff0a782d048db148c24.jpeg0F1282D0-82B4-4A6D-91A7-105097E86D1C.thumb.jpeg.6f6965c592f6d912af45e117c6c222b5.jpeg

I do wish saddle plate manufacturers made them with slotted holes to accommodate the different mounts. It would make life and our hobby so much easier.

35mm spacing for 6mm screws I believe. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Might be best to drop FLO an email as to which saddle will fit your Skytee2 mount for the CGE/Losmondy style saddle you need. They show which saddle works for Vixen saddles OK on a Skytee2, but not for CGE/Losmondy style you need for your C8 Edge.

Just dropped them an email mate, after a lot more research I found this which has the same 35mm spacing and 6mn screws, bit pricey but if it saves my new scope crashing to the ground, oh its out of stock a minute 😩

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-replacement-saddles/adm-dual-saddle-upgrade-for-takahashi-m6-or-losmandy-gm8.html

I fitted one of these to my Skytee2 mount a few years back, but I had to shave off 0.5mm with a Dremmel on the 2 bolt head screws and file back a little more in the slots that I fixed it to on the mount with as the minimum screw holes were for 36mm, and they were then snug but screwed in OK. It does allow me to use either Losmandy dovetail which I have on my 12’ Skywatcher Newtonian, and also Vixen saddles which I have with all my other scopes too. Pricey but was worth the buy, especially with the 3 clamping parts to it that make it super secure for heavier scopes.

https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/primaluce-lab-maxi-dovetail-clamp-vixenlosmandy-plus.html

Edited by Knighty2112
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

I fitted one of these to my Skytee2 mount a few years back, but I had to shave off 0.5mm with a Dremmel on the 2 bolt head screws and file back a little more in the slots that I fixed it to on the mount with as the minimum screw holes were for 36mm, and they were then snug but screwed in OK. It does allow me to use either Losmandy dovetail which I have on my 12’ Skywatcher Newtonian, and also Vixen saddles which I have with all my other scopes too. Pricey but was worth the buy, especially with the 3 clamping parts to it that make it super secure for heavier scopes.

https://www.widescreen-centre.co.uk/primaluce-lab-maxi-dovetail-clamp-vixenlosmandy-plus.html

I'm definitely not handy with things like that, I wouldn't trust myself 😂. The C8 did also come a vixen dovetail plate which had a William optics carry handle attached, I can take the handle off and use that then get the upgraded ADM saddle, the only thing that put me off was the guy I bought it off said he wouldn't trust the vixen dovetail with the load of the C8, do you have any thoughts on that?

Edited by shaztronomer

Of course regardless of wether you have Vixen or Losmandy dovetails fitted to any scopes always make sure any scopes are fully tightened in their clamps before you use/let go of it. I make sure I triple check this especially with my heavier or longer scopes.

• Thanks 1