SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Help with screw size for Slokey 40070

Hello, 

I am fairly new to stargazing. I got a beginner scope first, the Slokey 40070, last night i was dismantling it and the screw that holds the eyepiece in fell out and i couldnt find it amongst the grass. Does anyone know the size?

I've seen a post on here and someone said most of the thumb screws for telescopes are M4. Is this the case for this scope? Thank you

14 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Hello and welcome to SGL. The thread size is more likely to be M3. The only true way of knowing is to measure the diameter of the hole.

Thanks Peter. I have ordered some M4's so will see if they are any good, and if not, go for the M3's. 

Thanks for your help. 

Simon

43 minutes ago, Sypher37 said:

Thanks Peter. I have ordered some M4's so will see if they are any good, and if not, go for the M3's. 

Thanks for your help. 

Simon

I measured the screws on my ST80 and a cheap plastic diagonal and these were M3. I also measured the screw on the visual back of my Skymax 90 and this was M4. I would expect the screws on the eyepiece holder to be M3.

Just now, Cornelius Varley said:

I measured the screws on my ST80 and a cheap plastic diagonal and these were M3. I also measured the screw on the visual back of my Skymax 90 and this was M4. I would expect the screws on the eyepiece holder to be M3.

I may just order some M3 aswell just incase. It's where the bend meets the telescope if that makes sense. It seems like the same thumb screws that hold the finderscope onto it. 

5 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

I believe what I'm saying is its the screw that connects the 45 degree diagonal prism to the telescope that i lost.

Hi @Sypher37 and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Agree with what has been said above. They are either 3mm or 4mm. I usually buy replacements with a plastic cap on the head. They are easier to grip when tighten/loosen, when wearing gloves or mittens during the winter months.

9 hours ago, Sypher37 said:

I believe what I'm saying is its the screw that connects the 45 degree diagonal prism to the telescope that i lost.

Have you got a 90 degree diagonal? - the 45 degree are usually supplied with terrestrial/nature observing/viewing 'scopes.

• 4 weeks later...

@Sponcom  Sorry to take this off topic, but the other threads regarding your handsets are now closed and locked.  I sent you a PM with regards to the spare screens you mentioned earlier last week, which is showing as unread.  Could you check your private messages and hopefully respond? - Cheers

1 hour ago, malc-c said:

@Sponcom  Sorry to take this off topic, but the other threads regarding your handsets are now closed and locked.  I sent you a PM with regards to the spare screens you mentioned earlier last week, which is showing as unread.  Could you check your private messages and hopefully respond? - Cheers

He bought a handset from the classifieds. Just incase you weren’t aware.

3 hours ago, bosun21 said:

He bought a handset from the classifieds. Just incase you weren’t aware.

Yeah, I saw that.   He offered to send me the screens form his old unit so I could see if I could resurrect a handset with a damaged one.  I PM'd my details to him which is showing unread, hence the posts here.

• Thanks 1