SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

celestron goto query

hello all , ive been gifted a celestron nexstar mount without a hand controller . i dont know if the unit works or not so im looking for a way to operate it via a cable and laptop . im not interested in purchasing a hand controller or usb dongle as they are close to $300 au and if the mount is a dud ive just wasted my money . i have a sktwatcher goto but the controller and dongle are not compatible with the celestron . any help would be greatly appreciated . thanks. 😊

6 hours ago, steamin63 said:

hello all , ive been gifted a celestron nexstar mount without a hand controller . i dont know if the unit works or not so im looking for a way to operate it via a cable and laptop . im not interested in purchasing a hand controller or usb dongle as they are close to $300 au and if the mount is a dud ive just wasted my money . i have a sktwatcher goto but the controller and dongle are not compatible with the celestron . any help would be greatly appreciated . thanks. 😊

I think you may be out of luck.  The Celestron software  seems to requires the handset to be between the computer and mount, unlike Skywtcher mounts that allow a direct connection (using an EQDIR cable or USB depending on the age of the mount).  

https://www.celestron.com/pages/nexremote

2 hours ago, steamin63 said:

i thik you are right . im just floating the idea . i normally dont do celestron . i think its an over rated product for its price . 

Could you get the wi-fi module from somewhere like Amazon to test the mount? If it works, you've got a relatively cheap mount and if it doesn't you can return to Amazon for refund. I'm assuming Australia gives consumers similar rights to the UK, allowing you to inspect and return goods bought online within a short period of time.

44 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

Could you get the wi-fi module from somewhere like Amazon to test the mount? If it works, you've got a relatively cheap mount and if it doesn't you can return to Amazon for refund. I'm assuming Australia gives consumers similar rights to the UK, allowing you to inspect and return goods bought online within a short period of time.

Unlike Skywatcher mounts where the handset can be removed and an EQDIR connection made, be that a physical connection or via a wifi / bluetooth dongle, Celestron appear to use the handset in a dedicated PC-DIRECT mode to pass through the commands from the PC application, with the PC connection being via a standard RS232 port.   You can do this with the Skywatcher handset, but for some reason Synta who make both brands don't recommend the PC-DIRECT mode of connection other than for updating firmware in the mount.

Whilst UK consumer law does allow the return of items, especially those bought from an on-line supplier, but on this occasion I can't see the point given the information on the Celestron support page

19 minutes ago, malc-c said:

Unlike Skywatcher mounts where the handset can be removed and an EQDIR connection made, be that a physical connection or via a wifi / bluetooth dongle, Celestron appear to use the handset in a dedicated PC-DIRECT mode to pass through the commands from the PC application, with the PC connection being via a standard RS232 port.   You can do this with the Skywatcher handset, but for some reason Synta who make both brands don't recommend the PC-DIRECT mode of connection other than for updating firmware in the mount.

Whilst UK consumer law does allow the return of items, especially those bought from an on-line supplier, but on this occasion I can't see the point given the information on the Celestron support page

I use a Celestron Skyportal wi-fi dongle with my AVX to control the mount with my PC - no handset required! @steamin63 doesn't mention what version of Nexstar mount they have been given (the name covers several models and a long history!), so it might be an option worth exploring. There is a list of compatible mounts on the Skyportal product page on the Celestron website here:  Celestron Skyportal wi-fi

If it is one of the older models, then I agree the wi-fi dongle will not be off much use.

59 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

I use a Celestron Skyportal wi-fi dongle with my AVX to control the mount with my PC - no handset required! @steamin63 doesn't mention what version of Nexstar mount they have been given (the name covers several models and a long history!), so it might be an option worth exploring. There is a list of compatible mounts on the Skyportal product page on the Celestron website here:  Celestron Skyportal wi-fi

If it is one of the older models, then I agree the wi-fi dongle will not be off much use.

Fingers crossed its one of the newer models.  Must admit most of my experience has been with Skywatcher mounts, and was going on the info supplied on Celestrons web page where it recommended the passthrough method.  If that turns out not to be the case then I stand corrected.

• Thanks 1

here in australia we pay the "australia" tax .... everything is very much more expensive than the UK or USA . wifi dongle .... $280 , no thanks . id rather bin it . and no , if you purchase something online you are stuck with it unless it is faulty . its either a solution involving a laptop or the bin . 

42 minutes ago, steamin63 said:

here in australia we pay the "australia" tax .... everything is very much more expensive than the UK or USA . wifi dongle .... $280 , no thanks . id rather bin it . and no , if you purchase something online you are stuck with it unless it is faulty . its either a solution involving a laptop or the bin . 

If it makes you feel any better, $280 AUD dollars is around £150 which is the price we would pay for the wi-fi dongle here!

1 hour ago, steamin63 said:

Probably the cheapest option you may be able to find at $59 US dollars https://astro-gadget.net/gadgets/wifi-adapters/auxfi-new-aux-port-wifi-adapter-for-celestron

Again, check for what model you have to see if it is compatible. Otherwise you might be better retaining the OTA and using it on another mount with rings and a dovetail. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/04/2023 at 08:30, steamin63 said:

I was about to ask where you were (hope that’s allowed) because I actually have an extra hand controller that came with my Star Sense Camera but alas as I read along I saw Australia and I am in the US would gladly ship to you if you were in the States just not sure what international shipping costs are never done that before.😆